Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Fitting connect to 1 1/2" pvc
Author: garyjr (VA)

Coming out of multiport valve on pool filter is a 1 1/2" 90. It has a small section of straight 1 1/2" pvc in it, and then a pvc coupler connected to that. Is there a fitting that will go over top of this 1 1/2" coupler? Reason not to go inside is it would restrict flow. Reason not to take 90 out of multiport is no room to unscrew due to other pipe in the way. Trying to avoid redoing both sections if i don't have to. Thanks

Re: Fitting connect to 1 1/2" pvc
Author: packy (MA)

any pressure on it?
a 2 inch rubber coupling (not sheilded) would squeeze down over the OD of the coupling. wouldn't look great and wouldn't hold a lot of pressure but it would work.

Author: garyjr (VA)

It is under pressure. I tried the sheilded one but it came loose. The unshielded one seemed like a tighter fit if i could get it on at all. Would u try that next?

you will not get a fitting to glue over the coupling. you have to try making a rubber one work.
maybe a few wraps of a good grade, wide electric tape over the coupling to take up some slack. as i said it is not going to be pretty.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

How would it restrict the flow any more than the 90 or nipple that are there already?

Author: exapprentice30 (MA)

[www.plumbingsupply.com] They have rubber couplings s made to fit over a fitting on one end and a pipe on the other end if this can work for you.

i never knew that... as they say, you learn something every day...

Author: bernabeu (SC)

1059 series

used by shoemakers the world over

tongue sticking out smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: sum (FL)

That is designed for drains and not a pressure fitting right? With a pool filter system there is even a pump somewhere so the pressure is even higher.

I have the same question Paul48 has, if the elbow and the adjacent coupling is 1.5", it is already restricted to 1.5" for that section of piping then properly cementing a PVC transition coupling is not going to restrict it anymore then it already has. Unless the OP meant the coupling he is trying to connect to has a piece of 1.5" pipe in it and he cuts it flush and there is no way to make the proper conncetion?

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

and, Tinker Jack legs also.

Author: EndangeredSpecies (FL)

fitting extenders

these are used in the swimming pool plumbing trade. They glue OVER the hub of a fitting. You may need to sand off the raised lettering on the outside of the fitting hub you are gluing to.

===

Ad:

Available at our sponsor:

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Edited 3 times.

But they are illegal in Massachusetts.

Rubber couplings.

Edited 1 times.

They make them in pvc. I've used them. Fitting Extenders.

=== === ===

(comment from Vic:
I'm sorry but I felt that I needed to block the URL from the store that EndangeredSpecies has been attempting to link to because of previous numerous attempted free ads by that company or their representatives. All of our "regulars" know that we try to have our site be "clean" by not having any ads (other than PlumbingSupply.com being our sponsor) or pop-ups or cookie tracking and so on. Please know that what I did was not a reflection of nor an indication that EndangeredSpecies has been attempting to violate our rules and my apologizes to him/her for this one post inconvenience)

Edited 3 times.

Author: steve (CA)

The sponsor of this site carries the extenders. They have them in different connection styles. [www.plumbingsupply.com]

MA plumbing code does not apply to swimming pools.
anyway, about pressure on a DWV system. we test them to 5 PSI air pressure and if the basement is plugged and a 2 1/2 story stack is filled to overflow there is more than 5 PSI of water. a rubber coupling will hold that pressure.

Thank you for running a great site. clap

Thanks for the clarification, I thought there was something wrong with my posting skills. I'm glad you see I wasn't spamming and just trying to help the original poster. Thank You for running a great site.

Edited 1 times.

In Massachusetts you could not legally use them inside the building.

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.