Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower Valve Positioned Wrong
Author: Sybaris (IN)

This is my previous thread:

[www.plbg.com]

and this is the picture of the installed new valve:

After putting up the left side wall this is what the valve looks like:

Obviously it doesn't stick out far enough to attach the control handle. Need at least another 1.5 inches.

I've tried to get hold of the plumber and texted him a photo but no response. I could try to cut, move and resolder everything myself but don't have nearly the talent to do it as good as the guy who put it in. I'm considering cutting the horizontal stud you see in the first pic to allow the lines and whole mess come forward then putting a stud behind the valve to stabilize.

Any other suggestions most appreciated.

Re: Shower Valve Positioned Wrong
Author: steve (CA)

Delta makes a deep escutcheon plate, for valves installed too deep. I believe it's 1" deeper. Maybe using that and pulling the valve out ½"?

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

He had it roughed in correctly for cement board + tile. The extra depth of the wall surround panel is what messed it up. I'd leave the valve in place and use a deep rough in extension kit.

Author: hj (AZ)

Until you put that black plastic thing back on and see where THAT is in relation to the finished wall, you have no idea what, if anything, has to be done to it.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The 2nd picture shows the square black plastic piece installed. It is too deep in the wall. After looking at the first picture again it may even be to deep for a tile wall. I always use a 2" X 4" block between the studs to secure the valve to. The pipe for the spout also needs to be secured before setting the end wall. If not you'll always have a loose or crooked spout. I've about decided it would be best to cut it out and move it forward.

Fixed it. clap
Author: Sybaris (IN)

Fixed it.

Had to cut it out and move forward with the wall in place.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.