Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Knock out plug left in 1 1/2 drain
Author: bryandan (MO)

We remodeled a basement bathroom about a year ago and had all of the cast iron plumbing replaced with PVC (by a plumber). I have hooked up the toilet and bathtub which drain great. I then hooked up the sink, turned on the water and it immediately backed up into the sink. I tried a snake the drain and it stops and feels like I hit something hard before the stack. I also tried to vacuum and blow the line and there is no air movement.

I am about 90% sure a plastic knockout cap was left in one of the fittings near the stack.

Question:

Do I cut the drywall out then cut the PVC pipe to remove the cap?
Or do I use a drain snake with a cutting tool to chew it up? The drain goes from 1 1/2" to 2" to 4" down the line so if I chew it up it may flush onward.

Re: Knock out plug left in 1 1/2 drain
Author: packy (MA)

i can't imagine that a real plumber would plug a pipe inside the wall and then glue an elbow over it for a stub out..
if you try to chew it up with a cutting tool, you will leave sharp edges for hair to hang up on. you will never get it smooth.
open it up and find the problem..

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I normally use a cleanout tee and a rubber test ball to seal the pipe for an air test. I don't suppose there's a cleanout tee visible in your situation ?

Author: hi (TX)

get you an inexpensive scope to look down the drain to check Look on a major auction website or a major internet shopping site and search for "endoscope" get one for android for about $15-20 buck to look using your galaxy cell phone...

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

Remove the trap and look into the pipe. If the test cap is still there you will see it, but HOW you remove it will depend on how the trap is connected. You have to take it out, not push it into the drain line.

Thanks for the replies big grin
Author: bryandan (MO)

I believe this knockout cap was installed into the elbow that attaches to the main drain/vent pipe. This is about three feet from the sink drain. I will try the scope to verify this it looks like the USB ones are cheap. One of the issues here is that the project was done in two phases with two different plumbers. I will accept some of the responsibility on this one for not looking for a cap. It looks like the best option is cutting drywall and pipe if the plug was left inside.

Thanks for the replies.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.