Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water hammer
Author: akamon (GA)

Has anyone had the county/city replace the water meter as the solution to water hammer? After a repipe, I've tried everything: am on my third PRV, have a ball valve main, set pressure at 60psi (checked with gauge at rear spigot), redrained and flushed the system, cut off/ isolated everything and I still get wicked water hammer with any use which seems to originate near the service entry and I can hear it clearly at the meter when I cut water back on there. (3/4" main line for simple residence system). Everything seems well strapped down and if I grab the pipe near the main cut off it hardly slows down the hammer. I'm thinking the problem is something loose in the water meter causing the hammer but have never heard of or had this problem. Help and thanks in advance.
more info: installing mini restors at washer spigots did nothing. main line is copper so no sediment issues. Incoming pressure is 130 psi and have used same PRV (sharkbyte) in neighboring houses with no problems.

Edited 2 times.

Re: water hammer
Author: m & m (MD)

Many (most, all?) water meters today have an integral check valve making the house water system a closed system. You may need an adequately sized arrester for the entire house.

Re: water hammer
Author: srloren (CA)

Water Hammers are normally caused by quick closing valves. The City of long beach years ago required an 3/4" x 18" pipe with a cap at every fixture> I do not know if they still require what they called "Air Chambers" but the purpose was to prevent air hammer. Old fashion gate valves had a slow closing stem which prevented that type of air hammer. When I worked at San Onofre Nuclear Plant in North San Diego we had 42" heavy wall pipes for the Steam Generator with quick closing valves and when they closed it shook the entire more than 2 story Steel Structure. As I understand it, when a valve is closed in this way the pressure goes up by 500%. Not what you want on your home system...

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.