Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water pressure/volume low and worsening
Author: bah84 (IL)

Hello,

I am having a major issue with either the pressure or volume in my home. It is most noticeable in the shower, however it's apparent at the faucets at wall. I live in a relatively smaller home, built on a slab. Over the past 12-18 months I have begun to notice a gradual decrease in the water flow. I have a showerhead with about 5 positions, and now can only use it on one position to shower, and the quality of the shower is terrible. The faucets seem to have less pressure also like I said. This problem has seemed to worsen with time. I have checked the shower head, cleaned it, etc. and it is not the problem (which is also evidenced by the noticeable decrease on the faucets around the house). I checked the pressure on an exterior hose spigot and it showed 36 with no water on in the house. Turn on a faucet in the house and it dropped to near 30. Two faucets and it dropped to 28. Bear in mind, I'm on a municipal water system, not a well.

I have contacted the city water department multiple times. They replaced my meter, and checked the pressure in the meter pit (showed the same). They seem to have no answer for me. I asked whether it was possible that a valve in their system was partially closed somewhere or something and they said no. I have never shut off the ball valve in the utility closet that would shut my water down to the house. I have checked it, it's open the same as the day I bought the place. I am at a loss for what to do next, but this is ridiculous. Another point I'd like to bring up is that when I used to run my shower it would "whistle" from the diverter...it has stopped doing that and I never replaced the diverter to fix it. It's more than apparent that the lack of flow/pressure has stopped that noise.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Water pressure/volume low and worsening
Author: m & m (MD)

Ask a neighbor if you could check theirs the same way you checked your own. Where is your PRV located? The meter pit usually precedes the PRV, meaning that the poor pressure is the municipalities fault.

Author: hj (AZ)

If the city pressure is the same as what you measured, then the low pressure comes from them, but there is no way we can diagnose what the cause is.

Author: srloren (CA)

Your pressure seems low. Like was mentioned check to see if your pressure regulator has a filter screen that needs to be cleaned.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.