Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Well Water Pressure Tank
Author: snailcrusher (WA)

Hi All,
I am on a Well and have a Wellmate Pressure Tank. Model WM25WB. It is a 86 gallon Fiberglass Bladder Tank, not a Diaphragm. Installed August 2010.
I have a farm, so I use a lot of water to irrigate the crops and provide water for the animals.
In December 2015 I started experiencing low water pressure for a couple of weeks until I woke up one morning and had no water at all.
I called a plumber and he discovered that the Relay Switch for the Pump was fried and that the Pressure Tank was water logged. He replaced the Relay Switch, Drained the Pressure Tank of water, and re-pressurized the Tank with air. He said that the Relay Switch was fried because it was constantly trying to run the Pump.
Now I am experiencing low water pressure again. So I drained the Tank and re-pressurized it.
I called Wellmate and they said that I either have a leak from the Air Valve on top or a leak from the Air Bladder. I sprayed soapy water on the Air Valve, but did not see any bubbles.
So, I am considering replacing the Pressure Tank
I have several questions.
Are Wellmate Pressure Tanks a good choice? I have heard complaints about them and also heard a rumor that they had a bad run of Tanks a few years ago. Is this true?
Which type of Tanks are better, Bladder or Diaphragm?
In general, do Pressure Tanks need maintenance and constant Re-Pressurizing like car tires? I looked online and could not find any Owners Manual, only an Installation Manual.
Which Brand of Pressure Tank do you recommend?
Which Brand do you NOT recommend?
I am partial to Fiberglass. I live in very wet climate and my Pressure Tank is in a very small un-ventilated room, so I am concerned about rust. But, I will consider a Metal Tank, if you don't think rust will be a issue.
I would love to hear all opinions. Need to make a decision soon
Thank You All

Re: Well Water Pressure Tank
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Well Mate makes a good tank, and are the ones I normally use. Definitely use a tank with a bladder. Fiberglass is my choice of tank material as well. I'd say the bladder is leaking in your tank, and with no air in the bladder the pressure switch will wear itself out fairly quickly, due to the short cycling of the pump. If you have sediment in your water, that will certainly shorten the life of a tank. The bladder is constantly being compressed and expanding with water usage and with the pump running, so it gets quite a workout. I'd expect about a 12 year life span of your tank, a couple years either way depending on your water quality.

Re: Well Water Pressure Tank
Author: m & m (MD)

My choice for tanks is Well-X-Trol 'Professional'. It is metal and carries a 7 yr. warranty. I don't think anyone else in the industry has stepped up yet to match their warranty; most others are 5 yr. It is a diaphragm tank. I do not prefer the fiberglass tanks with a bladder. My experience with them tends to be negative. In an industrial setting such as yours, the larger the tank, the more run time the pump receives which is good because the pump runs longer per cycle but less frequently overall. Larger tank= more money, but should pay off long term.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.