Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Replacing old CI pipe-need some advise
Author: NickinNJ (NJ)

Hi everyone,
I'm replacing old cast iron drain stack with sch 40 PVC.
I have attached a diagram of proposed setup (not to scale). Also Pic of basement setup before removal of CI pipe.

A few things I need to clarify:

1) for horizontal runs into main vertical stack I will use sanitary tees (LABELED A) NOT WYEs (plus a 1/8 bend).

2) If the above is correct will the horizontal 3" pipe attached to the 90 degree closet bend fit well into the san-tee, which has a slight upward tilt?

3) The 2" pipe from 2nd fl shower may be at a greater gradient than 1/4" per foot to accommodate for the toilet connection. Is this OK?

4) I will use a wye (LABELED cool smiley NOT a san-tee for the 1st Fl bathroom run into the basement horizontal.

5) I will use a rodding tee for a cleanout next to sewer. Should I also put an angled wye with screw cap pointing down by sewer to make access if needed easier? The original CI cleanout is rusted shut.

6) does the 45 degree elbow (LABELED C) need to be wide sweep?

Thanks!

Re: Replacing old CI pipe-need some advise

sorry - here are the pics.....

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

1. ok
2. Yes
3. After the vent ? Yes it will be fine
4. ok
5. The tee will be fine
6. Isn't that a 90 ? if so it does need to be a long sweep.

Many thanks! smile

Many thanks!

Regarding #3, I haven't had a close look to see if there is a vent between the shower/sink and the vertical stack. I believe the vent has to be within 5 feet of trap. Looks like some more recent work has been done in bathroom before I bought house but need to check. So if no vent I'll add one or make sure slope is correct - i.e. bottom of pipe at trap weir not higher than top of pipe at san-tee into main stack vent.

#6 - yes that's a 90 degree elbow!

Edited 1 times.

Thanks again!

By the way, the 2nd Fl toilet and sink/shower drains went into the vertical stack in one iron fitting at the same level. Pic attached. Is this type available in PVC?

Edited 1 times.

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Nibco 4872 is close.

Author: hj (AZ)

Using your drawing as a guide, it appears the NOTHING is vented properly. NOTHING below the upper level can connect directly to the stack unless it has its own venting.

Thanks for pointing that out.
The 2nd FL shower/sink line has a vent that I just located.
There is a vent from the vertical stack just above the basement floor that I omitted.
The 1st FL bathroom fixtures may be vented but it's hidden right now.

The kitchen sink did not have venting. There is an access to the vent pipe from basement at floor level. Can I vent the kitchen there if it is below trap?

I can upload pic later

Author: steve (CA)

Vents for fixtures, other than toilets, need to come off the drain pipe above the height of the trap.

Author: hj (AZ)

PRobably not, but you would have to know a lot about venting before you could decide what is okay and what you need.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.