Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bath tub drain encased in pitch/asphalt!
Author: J_Phred (FL)

I am in the process of replacing my old porcelain/steel tub. I've replaced tubs in my previous houses and never had a problem like this. When I removed the old tub, I was somewhat surprised to see the entire drain assembly encased in (what I thought was) light weight mortar. The house is built on a slab and it appears that the contractor framed in an area for the bathtub drain to sit below the tub, hooked up the plumbing and then filled the area with mortar to ensure that the pipes would not move. I was going to replace the drain anyway since the offset from the back wall of the enclosure to the new drain in the replacement tub differed by 2 inches. No problem, I thought; just chisel out the old mortar until I had enough room to work, pull the old drain and put in a new drain/overflow assembly. To my surprise, the mortar was just a thin layer, no more than 1/2" thick. Once I got through this layer, I was horrified to see that they entire cavity surrounding the tub drain was filled what appeared to be pitch or asphalt (minus the aggregate)! I can't chisel it; the chisel just sinks in after one hit. I can't cut or saw it because it heats up and clogs my saw blades and then flows back into place. Has anyone ever heard of this and more importantly, how the #$%@ do I get this stuff out of here? Any suggestions will earn you a well deserved "ATTABOY".

Thank you

Re: Bath tub drain encased in pitch/asphalt!
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Maybe soften it with a heat gun and scoop it out ?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.