Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Aerobic septic system questions (Texas).
Author: johnstonc (TX)

I have a roughly 7 year old aerobic system that I inherited when I purchased my home a few years ago. The plumber who installed the system said the previous owner had a perfectly good conventional system when he bought the house, but wanted an aerobic system put in. The house with original conventional system was built in the mid-90's. I don't mind the aerobic in general, but I do have some concerns with my system that I was hoping to get opinions on.

1.) The design of the system has the 2 sprinklers in my front yard of my south facing house. Summer breeze isn't as nice on my front porch. My lot is 2 acres, and is more narrow and long than square. The lot runs downhill from the road and about 40 or so yards from the back porch I have a creek running through the property. My front yard stays swampy around the sprinklers, so every time I mow, I leave muddy ruts in an otherwise decent looking yard. My soil is clay, so it doesn't drain well.

2.) The plumber that I have my maintenance contract with tells me I'm operating at half capacity since my tank seal is failing. I don't even know what that means, but apparently the only way to fix this issue is to completely replace a seven year old septic tank. I am having a hard time finding anything online (being I don't know what to look for I guess) about tank seals or why that would cause the system to run a "half capacity." My aeration tank and pump tank both seem to hold water fine. I can't speak for my trash tank though.

I have inquired as to changing the location of my sprinklers to the back yard, but without having another design made up by the county health department, I won't know my options. .... I just want to know what my options are. I asked about a low dose system, but again was referred to the health department. It's pretty frustrating that I can't even walk in my front yard any time of year without slopping around, let alone not being able to plant anything nice that doesn't get killed by chlorinated spray.

I guess I'm just aggravated and want to ... the person who decided to put discharge sprinklers in my front yard every time I go to mow or walk towards the mailbox. Talking to my plumber typically doesn't help my attitude, especially since I'm not sure what operating at half capacity really means, and that's what usually gets brought up before anything else.

So I suppose I want to know if those re-designs by the health department ...., and if I have one will I be obligated to abide by the new design? Does anyone know the distance rules for property lines, creeks/streams, and other considerations in Texas, just so I can walk out a design in my head? I honestly have zero intention of trying to make the changes to sprinkler locations myself. I just want to know.

The other thing I want to know is, what is my plumber referring to when he says operating at half capacity and tank seal?

If any other information is needed from me to help answer any of these questions, I will do my best to provide the correct answers.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.