Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Leaky sink gasket?
Author: redstoat (Non-US)

Hello, I hope someone can help. We moved into a newly-refurbished flat and discovered the bathroom sink leaks. If you take a look at this photo:

it leaks where the arrow points, between the sink itself and possibly some kind of gasket?

Elsewhere someone suggested that the white piece is upside down, but I don't think that's correct as the metal piece below fits into a groove on the underside that isn't present on the top. I'd take it apart to check but I'm not entirely sure how. It looks like you unscrew the two nuts on either end of the tailpiece, but then there's no nut on the pipe between the bottle trap and the wall so I don't know how to get the trap off.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Or advice on how to take it apart so I can have a good look? Would I need any special tools to take it apart?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Leaky sink gasket?
Author: m & m (MD)

The gasket is leaking where it contacts the sink. To disassemble, loosen nut at drain body, loosen two lower nuts at trap and remove, loosen pop-up linkage and remove components, unthread flanged piece from bowl side of sink (top side of bowl) and remove gasket. Apply silicone caulk to gasket and elsewhere as needed, plumbers putty to flange, and reassemble.

Author: packy (MA)

what tightens the washer against the sink? usually there is a hex nut below it?

Author: hj (AZ)

It must screw on to the sink strainer. The drain appears to be cocked to the rear, away from where the leak is so the drain may not be straight in the sink.

Author: m & m (MD)

It appears that there is a flange that is integral to the lower drain body, so the top threaded portion of the body would "take up" any slack.

Author: srloren (CA)

I think this design was not well thought out. Most folks will not understand how to nor have the tools to tighten this tail piece pop up correctly... that is why it is leaking in my opinion.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.