Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 decreased water pressure in bathroom faucets
Author: maryedgar (CO)

My son recently completely changed out the stopper mechanism at my bathroom sink. Since then, the water pressure from the faucets has decreased significantly with no change when increasing movement of the handles. Can't begin to understand what a possible connection should be here. Help?

Re: decreased water pressure in bathroom faucets
Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

there is no connection between your potable water and your DWV. Plumbing code 101
you can check to make sure the stops are on fully below and check your aerator for debris.

Author: feeedyourhead (WI)

Yeah there should be no relation between the two. Try turning the shut-off valves completely off and then on (just to make sure they turn and are in fact open). Then take off the aerator and clean it out to see if there's anything blocking the flow there. If that doesn't work you could take the supply lines off and see if there's a blockage.

Thank you bunches! thumbs

I'll have someone (not me!) check about the shut-off valves, to be sure, but honestly, there's no way it can be the aerator. This literally occurred right after the stopper was changed and there was no previous problem. Once this has been done, I'll post again............ Thank you bunches!
Mary

Edited 1 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

He may have turned the water off while he was working on the drain in case he accidentally turned the faucet on. If so I can almost guarantee the problem is in the aerator.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; but honestly, there's no way it can be the aerator.

I don't suppose you want to put your money on it.

especially since the flow does NOT change no matter how much you open either or both handles.

Oh, but I would put money on it. I tell ya, the pressure was fine up until the change was made. I'm inclined to believe the shut-off valve is the culprit but won't know for a few days. Like I said, I'm not in a condition to get down there to see for myself and hubby has had 3 recent brain surgeries so HE'S not going there either. Have to wait on my son again....
smiling smiley

Think of it. The flow remains the same regardless of HOW you adjust the handles. That means that not only would BOTH valves have to have the same problem, but they could NOT increase the flow when both were turned on. I hate to take your money, but I want a new car.

But think on this.....one minute the water flows just fine; a stopper is all that is changed; 10 minutes later the aerator is plugged? Still doesn't compute to me.............smiling smiley Don't hold your breath for getting a new car!

All is well, thanks to you! smileys with beer

So, what kind of car was it that you wanted?

I really, really hate admitting that you were right. Next time you talk to a woman about this sort of thing, explain your reasoning, won't you? Maybe if you'd told me that working on the stopper MIGHT have broken loose some tiny piece of debris that could have plugged up that aerator, I might have taken your advice in the first place. (I'm from Missouri!). As it is, my hubby was planning to get on his knees/back to look underneath so I said to him: before you start doing that, two plumbers suggested it might be the aerator so let's appease them by checking the aerator first. Darned if there wasn't the tiniest thing plugging the hole in there!

All is well, thanks to you!

I'm really originally from Calif. but I'm just as stubborn as if I were from Missouri smiling smiley
Mary

Edited 1 times.

Re: All is well, thanks to you! smileys with beer
Author: srloren (CA)

Too bad on both counts......just kidding, I was born in California.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.