Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Washing machine drain pipe
Author: feistyisa (Non-US)

Hi all. I apologize for long ramble in advance.
Last December 2014 noticed water on floor near washing machine. First thought the issue was the washing machine but when repair man/plumber came, we realized it was the drain pipe. The water fountains out of the drain pipe but only on initial discharge and then it drains away without any issues. Plumber did not want to risk getting snake stuck in narrow drain pipe and could not get to main stack (long story) so he went with snake through sewer in garage. Thought problem was solved but two days later did laundry it happened again. When we called him he suggested using duct tape to connect the drain hose to the drain pipe so water wouldn’t escape. I wasn’t comfortable with that solution so did not call him back.

We fiddled around with the hose and poked around in the hose and drain pipe with short plastic snake we had. Coincidence or not, the water stopped squirting out for the next months (almost 8 months actually). Oddly enough, seems to have started again around end of this November / beginning of December of 2015…

Called another plumber...he cut hole in wall to get to plumbing...we have copper pipes...thank goodness there was a clamp to be able to open pipe....plumber fished out 35 feet....put it back together.....ran one wash and all seemed well. Next day I do a wash and squirting is back.....not as much and only on 2nd discharge.....but still there.

I’ve been trying to think what could be causing the problem…some reading brought about the possibility of a blocked washing machine roof vent pipe. Didn’t even know this existed…assuming there is one on the roof. This would make the most sense to me?
If the washer drain hose/pipe was blocked, then the water would not drain away at all? Did plumber need to snake further than 35 feet?
Called plumber back and was told to wait it out one week as maybe it was just residue and would be flushed away after a few washes. No such luck....plumber says to call him back and he would come snake again and change copper pipes to pvc. What will this change exactly?

Got me thinking that back in November 2014 we had some roof patch repair work done. Could this have caused a blockage at the vent pipe (assuming there is one)? If so, then why wouldn’t we always have the problem? Something to do with air/pressure?

We are at our wit's end with calling plumbers and paying hard earned $$ and still have unresolved issue.
Have not called plumber back as I wanted some advice/suggestions first.

TIA

Re: Washing machine drain pipe
Author: m & m (MD)

It is not the vent. Are you on a slab construction or basement? What is the next closest fixture and how far away?

Author: hj (AZ)

I do not think you have said anything about them checking for an obstruction in the trap itself.

Washing machine is in basement and we have utility sink right next to machine. Powder room right next to laundry room.
Thanks

Will admit no idea what you are referring to. But would plumber not know what this is and to check?
Thanks

With other fixtures that close, more attention needs to be directed to the washer trap, standpipe, and immediate drain. Copper washer drains normally are 1-1/2" and the traps were very short radius bend (which is why your plumber was reluctant to snake it).

What is/where is washer trap? And the 2nd plumber snaked the pipe going "out".....he did mention something about the "p-trap" and said he didn't think that was the issue.....isn't that the curve right below the "standpipe"?
The rest of the plumbing seems to be fine....meaning draining of sinks in the near vicinity, etc...

Trap/ p trap are same. At some point, a snake needs to be run thru washer drain if not already. If trap and standpipe are not inside wall, they could be upsized to 2" if snaking does not help.

They actually are inside wall and plumber did cut through wall to get to pipe....as mentioned previously, he has suggested replacing copper pipes to to 2in pvc pipes. Is this recommended at this point?

I defer to your on-site plumber who has far better insight than I do at this point.

It is not a common problem and many plumbers would NOT consider it as a possibility, but then many of us would NOT have to take the system apart to clear a clog either.

quote; he did mention something about the "p-trap" and said he didn't think that was the issue...

I rest my case.

He said he didn't think it was the issue because he didn't even check it. Why go to the trouble of opening the wall to snake the pipe and not snake/clean the p-trap? And wouldn't "plumbing logic" dictate to check the washing machine drain / hose as well?
Seems a little presumptuous of me to tell the plumber what to do....but if that's what it takes.....

Author: srloren (CA)

You should go to the nearest Big Box Store and purchase a hand held 1/4" snake to snake the stand pipe and trap to illeminate a stoppage there before you do anything else. You can straighten out the wire on the end of the snake to retrieve lent which is probably the cause of this stoppage... just an educated guess.

The drain hose is NOT the problem, because it is overflowing when the water comes OUT of it. But since it overflows with the initial flow, that indicates it is very close to the start of the drain line and the "P" trap is about as close as you can get.

IF you can "straighten out" the end of the snake then it must be one of those that should be thown in the trash bin.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.