Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Need advice; residential hot water heater brands
Author: Tpub (MT)

Hi,

Short version: Who makes the best 50 gallon electric residential hot water heater?

We have an older AO Smith 50 gal electric unit in our home that needs to be replaced. I don't know the exact age, but I suspect it may be 15 - 20 years old. It heats up just fine, but it is starting to rust/leak and I'd like to replace it before it gets worse. I had considered just picking up a basic unit from one of the big box stores but so many of the reviews read like customer service horror stories.

I had planned to install the new one myself, but I am willing to hire someone if the ideal unit is only sold through professionals. Either way, here's what I'm looking for:

1) Customer Service
2) Reliability

Of course reliability is very important, but if something does go wrong with my unit under warranty, I want a fast, no hassle customer service situation. I realize that may be an unrealistic expectation, if so, please let me know. If water heaters are a "throwaway" item nowadays, then it will strongly influence my decision.

Thanks in advance,
T

Re: Need advice; residential hot water heater brands
Author: packy (MA)

we all HATE callbacks so we install the brands that give us the least trouble. for me that is bradford white.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

For me it is Rheem .

Thanks for the replies. I will check out both of those brands more in depth.

Author: srloren (CA)

I lean toward Bradford White. Have had excellent results with Tech Support

Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

A lot of it is simply regional. Certain water heaters are more popular in different areas. Around here Bradford White is king, but one of our suppliers recently switched to AO Smith, and they seem to be very high quality as well. The reason for the switch was only a supply issue, and not a quality issue. Bradford struggles to keep some of our suppliers fully stocked (which was really only due to the NAECA changes made last year).

They will all perform and last about the same. The one red light for me is a plastic drain at the bottom. Make sure you get a brass drain so that it will actually work when you want it to and won't break.

Thanks... for the responses. smiling smiley

Thanks again to you all for the responses. They have certainly helped!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.