Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Second floor toilet almost over soil stack with no vent
Author: mromano715 (NY)

I am remodeling a home and after removing the ceiling found my second floor bath to have no venting at all. I need to rework the plumbing to add venting and cleanup the horrible mess left by the former owner. My question is this....My second floor toilet is about 12 inches from my soil stack and my floor joists are only 5 1/2" With the Stack next to the toilet and under the second level floor I have no more room to continue the stack up to create my vent. Can I Connect my toilet to a long WYE on its back and use the right Hub to create my vent and the left hub to 90 into the soil stack?

Any help is apperciated

Re: Second floor toilet almost over soil stack with no vent
Author: hj (AZ)

Even after reading it several times, trying to visualize what you are describing, I still have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, or how you want to do it.

hopefully this drawing helps

Author: hj (AZ)

1. I hope that vent on the left side is NOT for the sink, because if it is, it will not work
2. You CANNOT connect that vent to the "toilet vent" until it is at least 42" above the floor.
3. From your original description of how close the riser is to the toilet, I cannot see how you can put those fittings in the space available.

The problem I am facing is I have a toilet, shower and sink all within 5 feet of this riser. Currently nothing is vented. I also am moving the riser into a 2x6 wall. I am going to attach a picture of what I am dealing with.

I can get to the wall behind the sink to create a vent after the p-trap
I can ad 42" to the toilet line before attaching to the vent.
My only other issue is venting the shower

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I see at least 5 code violations in that picture. It may help you to vent the shower separately and drop it down below the joist to tie it into the 3".

I will take a better picture tomorrow morning. That 3" is going away its in the middle of a hallway. I am also adding a new full bath on the first floor where this riser is. I appreciate the help I am going to hand draw my current situation and future hope on paper and post that as well

Author: steve (CA)

Another issue here are the holes in the 2x6 joists. Holes should be no closer than 2" to an edge and no more than 1/3 the width of the joist(unless designed by an engineer). 2x6 joist would limit the hole to 1½" diameter.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.