Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Horizontal wet venting
Author: Idahoan plmbr (ID)

Hello all! New to the site and wanted to get a little insight from those of you with experience. With the UPC 2009 code allowing horizontal wet venting I wanted to see if anyone had any problems using it. I had someone say it could cause gurgling but not first hand experience. I want to hear from those who have used it and if it works good. Thanks
[www.kingcounty.gov]

Edited 1 times.

Re: Horizontal wet venting
Author: hj (AZ)

IF you do not do it correctly, then it could cause that problem. It is all in how you arrange the piping.

Author: packy (MA)

as long as there is a fixture to 'wash' the vent, why would horizontal be any different from vertical?
to me, wet venting is the prefered method of venting. if a wet vent gets clogged, you will know as something will not drain. you then must clear the clog or live with a non-draining fixture.
it is most important that the drain serving as a wet vent be increased by one pipe diameter and that it remain undiminished in size all the way to a vent stack or thru a roof.

Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

a plumber on a job site told me to watch his tub drain after rough in inspection had just passed.
The tub was sure slow to drain and he blamed it on the horizontal wet vent and was very frustrated
with the shop owner who would not let him vent the tub with a dry vent.

That is ridiculous. Unless water is flowing THROUGH a wet vent, it is no different than a "dry vent".

Author: packy (MA)

i think the plumber was blaming the wet vent when something else was at fault.

I guess he knew it could not defend itself.

Author: exapprentice30 (MA)

Drain pipes run about half full of water and half full of air. A wet vent is one pipe size larger and has more room for air. And a clogged vent or or a inproperly installed or undersized vent would cause problems.

Thanks for the input smile
Author: Idahoan plmbr (ID)

Thanks for the input. I'll give it a shot.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.