Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Reconfiguring some plumbing
Author: Mazer (PA)

Hi, I am thinking about doing some modifications to the drain pipe on my basement wall in my laundry room, coming from my kitchen sink. The pipe comes down the wall a few feet, then cuts across the wall at a 45. I'd like to shorten how far it comes down, and have it go horizontal instead of 45. The pipe is metal, but not cast iron, and I'd be replacing it with pvc. If I had to guess (without measuring), I'd say the vent pipe is 3" dia, and the pipe from the sink is 2"dia. I'm sure I'm leaving out tons of details, so let me know what I've left out. This is a sketch of what it currently looks like.
[@#$%&[s807.photobucket.com]][/URL]

This is a sketch of what I'd like it to look like.

Is this reasonable, or not worth the hassle? Main reason to do this is basically to gain some wall space, so it isn't really crucial, just an idea.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Re: Reconfiguring some plumbing
Author: hj (AZ)

Now, the pipe going up from the sink/washer connection is a vent. After you change it then it becomes a drain line and that changes the dynamics of your system.

Thanks for the quick reply smile

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I guess that makes sense. What about something like this instead?

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, that will work. i would also add another sanitary tee between the basement sink and your new kitchen drain. use that for the washing machine.
so from the top down...
basement sink...
washing machine...
kitchen sink...
remember to put a cleanout tee for the kitchen.

Thanks again for your input big grin

Thanks for the reply. Are there any specific pieces that should be used? I figure i would use a wide radius 90 deg elbow, run the piece across (at 1/4" per foot slope?), then another wide 90 deg elbow, straight down to a clean out tee, to a 45 where it meets with the other pipe. Does this sound right? While I like the idea of adding another sanitary tee, but I'm probably not going to mess with the vent pipe if I do this configuration. I don't think I'll run the washer and the sink at the same much anyway.
Thanks again for your input.

Edited 1 times.

Author: asktom (MT)

The sink/washer configuration wouldn't pass where I did my plumbing (under the UPC). Each would need to be vented before they connected together.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Under UPC with N.C. Amendments, the laundry sink can drain into the washing machine standpipe without needing a vent for the sink, or just stack a tee above the tee for the washer trap to catch the sink.

Here are to quick pics I took this morning

I also wasn't very clear on the wye splitting the sink & washer, if that makes any difference. If it doesn't, what would be good options? Replace the verticle vent pipe and add another tee, or could I just add one of those AAVs next to the washer or sink trap? I plan on replacing the whole section with the sink and the washer anyway because it is badly bent sloping the wrong way due to gravity and no support.
Thanks again for any input.

If I were guessing, I'd say that's a waste stack not a vent. If that be true then you can tie the 2" pipe on the left up as high as you want to. Come off the 3" pipe with a 3" X 2" tee, turn a 2" X 1 1/2" combination on it's back to catch the sink and put a studor vent atop the vertical pipe, then a 2" trap at the back of the combination for the washer.

Thanks a lot for helping out thumbs

How do I know if it is a waste stack?
I'm a little confused about your explanation - "turn a 2" X 1 1/2" combination on it's back to catch the sink and put a studor vent atop the vertical pipe, then a 2" trap at the back of the combination for the washer". Does that mean it's basically going to be the same set up as it is now, with the exception of the vent being added, and what is a "2"x 1 1/2" combination"? I understand in general, just the details are confusing me. Thanks a lot for helping out.

Edited 1 times.

If you plumb the sink and washer like this picture, then you can tie the 2" pipe on the left in wherever you like.
A combination is a wye with a st.45 glued in the branch of the fitting, or you can buy them as one fitting.
I drew the sink tee pointing to the right so that you could see it, likely it will need to point straight out from the wall.

Edited 1 times.

The more answers I get, the more questions I seem to have. First off, I have some concern replacing a section of the vertical "waste stack". At the top, can I connect to the metal pipe with one of those rubber sleeves? On the bottom, there isn't really anywhere to put one of those sleeves if I cut off all the old stuff. How can I connect a new section to this?

Was also thinking, that if I do replace a section of the stack, would I be better off tying in an actual vent like this?

Once again, I very much appreciate your time and knowledge. Thanks a lot.

If that 3" pipe receives any drainage from above, then you can't tie back into it with a vent. If it is a dry vent then your last picture would work just fine.
I would cut the pipe just below that wye, right between the hubs of those fittings and use a ram bit to drill out the remaining pipe out of the fitting. That would give you a clean starting point and you wouldn't have to mess with the cast iron pipe.

It is a dry vent as far as I know. The kitchen sink drain comes down from the pipe on the left, and there is no source water to the right (of the sink), and no 2nd story. I would also like to add that it is galvanized pipe if that makes any difference. I'd like to just replace everything, but I'm concerned about how to tie into the hub at the bottom. I don't have a "ram bit", but could I use a rubber bushing in the top of that hub? Thanks again

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.