Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Advice for replacing whole-house water shut off valve
Author: Studly (MN)

My house was built in the 1980s and has two older-style multi-turn water shut-off valves, in front of the water meter in my basement, to shut water off to the whole house. Not sure if they usually put in two shut-off valves in a house, or if the first one was failing and they added the second.

They don't work that well, but if I use a pliers on them to tighten them a bit more than I can by hand, then I can get the water shut off. So I'd like to replace with a modern quarter-turn valve before the old valves get any worse.

Is there any need for me to remove the old valves, or as long as they are open all the way, isn't there little chance that they'll leak?

I was going to solder in the quarter turn valve -- there's space on the 3/4 inch pipe just after the meter. Then I'd use that as the main shut off valve for the house and wouldn't have to pay the city water dept to shut off the water on the outside valve if I was to replace the old valves rather than leave them in. Any disadvantage to doing this, or should I remove the old valves and put it there?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Advice for replacing whole-house water shut off valve
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

It would make a more professional job to remove the old valves and add one new one, that's what I would do, however if you prefer to leave them it'll be ok too.

Author: asktom (MT)

If a 1/4 turn ball valve is installed below ground level the moisture in the soil tends to destroy the steel lever handle. Valves with stainless steel handles are available, but the are hard to find and are in a different price bracket than the big box stock. A gate valve with a cast iron handle may be better in the long run.

Thanks for the advice big grin

Thanks for the advice. Just to clarify, these shut offs that I'd be replacing are indoors, in my basement. We have an inside water meter.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

The first one just shuts off the water meter so you do NOT have to do anything with it. IF you turn that one off, however, you CAN change the second one without calling the water company.

Yes, I considered just shutting off the first valve, but not sure that'll close completely.

Author: srloren (CA)

Making sure the first valve will shut off completely is where you start. Definitely change the second valve out, no need for an extra problem when it eventually fails.

Author: hj (AZ)

It should shut off enough so you can work on the second valve.

Author: srloren (CA)

He says he is going to solder.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.