Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hydronic towel warmer dezincification
Author: uscpsycho (CA)

Hello, first time poster here so go easy on me if I violate any forum rules. I *did* search and didn't find any info about this.

I'm planning to put a hydronic towel warmer in my bathroom on an open loop system. The towel warmer is stainless steel so it should resist dezincification but I understand that dezincification is still a possibility and that manufacturers will not warrant against it.

How common is dezincification in this application and can anything be done to prevent it from happening?

If I get a leak from dezincification is there any way to repair it or does the towel warmer have to be replaced at that point?

I like the idea of having a towel warmer (electric warmer isn't feasible in this case) but not if the lifespan isn't loooooong as I would expect it to be since it has zero moving parts and zero electronics.

Thanks!

Edited 2 times.

Re: Hydronic towel warmer dezincification
Author: steve (CA)

Dezincification occurs to brass because brass has zinc in it. Stainless steel doesn't contain zinc.

Re: Hydronic towel warmer dezincification
Author: uscpsycho (CA)

Ugh. I had that thought in the back of my head when I posted that. But I read something on Houzz from someone who suffered dezincification. I assumed it was a stainless steel towel warmer because it was on an open system but I just double checked and it was a brass warmer on an open system. That is a recipe for dezincification. My bad.

Now, let me take my own thread off topic, but still related to towel warmers.

On an open system, if I have a recirculating pump on the water heater for my home, can I also put in a second recirc pump just for the towel warmer? That way I can put the towel warmer's pump on its own timer to make sure I have warm towels when I want them. To a plumber this probably sounds like a stupid question but I'm no plumber so excuse the dumb question smile

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.