Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Lead sampling protocol
Author: jblanche (WI)

My goal is to determine the amount of lead leaching from the service lateral between the curb box and the meter, which is the part that I would have to pay to replace.

Is my method likely to get me an accurate reading?

Procedure:
1. Ensure that 2.5-gallon plastic bucket is clean, and rinsed repeatedly with plain tap (or distilled?) water.
2. Draw no water for 6 hours.
3. Draw 2 gallons water into bucket.
4. Stir water in bucket.
5. Draw water from bucket to sample container.
6. Seal sample container and submit sample for testing.

I've read a lot of online PDFs and procedures about taking samples of water to test for lead. Most of them seem to say don't flush in advance, the water needs to sit in the pipe undisturbed for some number of hours, and draw from the most-used or closest faucet to the meter.

In my case, I have:

--50 feet of 1" ID lead pipe from the curb box to the meter
--75 feet from the main to the meter
--There is a brass boiler drain on the copper pipe about 1' on my side of the meter
--The first faucet is the kitchen, about 25 feet of 3/4 Type L copper from the meter to the fixture stop.
--Fixtures and fittings all installed circa 2000 AD
--All tubing on my side of the meter is soldered copper
--All solder is lead-free

I calculated the lead pipe capacity as 2.0 gallons, curb box to meter, and 3.1 gallons, main to meter. (Since the water utility is replacing the main-to-curb box portion anyway, I don't think I care about the water in that section of pipe.)

600" length @ 1" diameter = 471 cubic inches = 2.0 gallons

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Re: Lead sampling protocol
Author: JLNY (NY)

If you're that worried about lead in your water just replace the service from the curb stop to your meter.

Author: jblanche (WI)

I am seeking knowledge on testing methods from others with personal or professional experience.

I am not seeking advice on what to do with that information, but thanks nonetheless for your suggestion.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Author: JLNY (NY)

Talk to your local health department and ask what there test procedure would be.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.