Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Tapping into a 3" PVC Line
Author: giannifp (VA)

Hello,
I'm in Virginia. I'm doing a bathroom renovation and relocating a toilet. I'm sorry I don't have pictures at this moment, just want to bounce some ideas. About 15 inches to the left of the new toilet location there is a 3" pipe that drains into the main stack. The drain is coming from the second bathroom. At the main stack there is a sanitary cross in which to the right this drain is connected and to the left the old toilet was. Since I'm relocating the toilet from the left of the stack to the right, it's easier to use the current drain coming from the other bathroom to tap the toilet. My question is how to install the sanitary Tee in this 3 inch PVC pipe without having to tear the entire drain stack. The PVC pipe is solid in place without any give. I was reading about banded no-hub couplings but got all confused. We pulled all permits and I stumbled with this forum while looking at the couplings.

What would be the best option to add this sanitary tee? or I would have to cut into the main stack and replace the cross?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gianni

Re: Tapping into a 3" PVC Line
Author: packy (MA)

you glue 6 inch pieces into the two ends of the san tee. put the metal sheilds over those pieces. then slide the rubber coupling part onto the ends. roll the open end of the rubber back like you are folding back your sleeve.
take an end to end measure and cut that much out of the exixting PVC. slide in the piece, unfold the rubber and slide the sheild over. align the san tee and tighten.

Thanks!! Is that the procedure for the Banded no-hub connector? is such allowed for Over ground installations? I was reading the VA Plumbing Code and it states that mechanical joints are not allowed above ground. No distinction for banded no-hub. I'm just assuming mechanical joints are all these "mission" type joints.

*705.14 PVC plastic. *
Joints between PVC plastic pipe or fittings shall comply with Sections
705.14.1 through 705.14.3.

*705.14.1 Mechanical joints. *
Mechanical joints on drainage pipe shall be made with an elastomeric
seal conforming to ASTM C 1173, ASTM D 3212 or CSA B602. Mechanical
joints shall not be installed in above-ground systems, unless otherwise
/approved/. Joints shall be installed in accordance with the
manufacturer’s instructions.

Thanks again for the reply!
Gianni

Author: packy (MA)

MA code allows them above ground with no special permission needed. i don't know about your code ???

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I believe VA is under UPC which does allow shielded couplings.

Thanks to all for the information!!! smiling smiley

Thanks to all for the information!!! I'll check with the inspector.

Gianni

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.