Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Basement Rough In, I Only See 2 Drains
Author: jsok (IL)

I'm looking to get some information regarding finishing my basement bathroom. It looks to me like there is only 2 drains. One is for the shower and the other is for the toilet. I'm a little perplexed on how to drain the sink. Here is the image:

This was before the basement concrete was poured. I now have a slab on top of the gravel.

Thanks for any help you all may be able to provide.

Edited 2 times.

Re: Basement Rough In, I Only See 2 Drains
Author: hj (AZ)

No image, but you should have THREE pipes coming out of the floor.

Sorry about that. It's fixed now. Never posted a picture to a forum, now I know how.

Author: sum (FL)

Is the bigger pipe (3" or 4"winking smiley around the shower drain a short piece of sleeve to allow the room for gluing in a shower drain assembly?

Is it possible the design was to add the lav drain with a trap arm off one of the vents?

Yes, the pipe is bigger by the shower drain. I'm not sure about adding the pipe into the vent. I'll have to ask my builder when he stops by.

If your "builder" is the one who installed the piping, I am not sure you should be asking him ANY plumbing questions.

It wasn't him directly, it was subcontracted out to a plumbing company. He has been building houses for 15-20 years, so I would certainly hope he has some idea about what the plumbers did.

I fired a plumbing inspector once because he did NOT know what he was doing. He told every one, " I have been a plumber for 30 years and that apprentice fired me?"

Author: packy (MA)

i believe they meant for the lav to drain into the tub vent. the location of that drain precludes using the majority of shower units. only a right hand drain tub will work with that drain location.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

what was in the building contract signed by you and the contractor. Were all three appliances in the basement washroom specified?

Best Wishes

IT could drain into either vent depending on the sink's location.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

According to the writing on the wall, a 36" lavatory goes to the right of the toilet. There may or may not be enough room, depending on how you frame the stud wall.

Author: packy (MA)

given that the vertical form lines in the foundation are 24 inches apart, i would guess a 30 inch vanity would fit to the right of the toilet and drain into the toilet vent.

Wheelchair,

I will have to check. I know he said rough in full bathroom. I'll double check our contract when I get home tonight.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.