Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 leaking pipe on my brain ARRRGH!
Author: medusa569 (DC)

I was switching out a ceramic pedastal ( after breaking it ) for a wooden pedastal for ease of troubleshooting. Dang if I have leaks that just won't stop. Since my pipeing will be exposed now I wanted to switch back to the
metallic pipes so I changed everything to that ( except the wall pipe ) and I just can't seem to get a good leakfree connection. The last plumber that worked on this sink installed a glued pvc wall pipe. I don't know of the plastic nut on that peace stripped out a little or what but now it won't stop leaking no matter if I use a metal or pvc trap with mixed or same connecntions . I've tried some teflon tape and that didn't seem to help either. I've tried to take care not to overtighten but obviously something's wrong somewhere.There is no washer on that connection from pvc wall to ptrap pvc or metal) as the pipe already has a beveled lip. Am I missing something or is there something I can do to plug that leak. Also I'm wondering for now or for the future if I can change the wall pipe to as much metal as possible which means I would have to cut off that small bend from the remaining 2" of wall pipe. What adaptor can I put in its place that would be secure and aestetically pleasing?

add [@#$%&[s663.photobucket.com]][/URL]

Re: leaking pipe on my brain ARRRGH!
Author: hj (AZ)

It will NOT "connect" to a metal drain pipe, so don't bother trying. Whether it will work with a plastic trap or not depends on what kind of connection it uses, but "Teflon" tape is NOT a solution.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You may need to use a beveled washer on the trap arm.

I've got a beveled washer on the upper trap arm..so far that seems to be holding good.The stub arm has a built in beveled edge. I've switched back to the pvc trap because of the arm but leaking at that connections seems to be the current problem. If I have to cut off the glued on arm ( stripped or damaged threads) can I use a trap adapter there and install a new arm and so on? Also how can I cover with the metal look the whole pvc stub and trap adapter?

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

A plastic "trap arm" does NOT have anyway to put a beveled washer on it.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The trap arms that I use take a rubber beveled washer.

Do you have a picture of that setup of washer?

Author: packy (MA)

cut the PVC 3/4 inch away from that chrome trim. glue on a 1 1/2 inch trap adapter. use a PVC trap like puctured below.
it will look something like this...

Author: bernabeu (SC)

+ a 'bell escutcheon' to cover the plastic part

but use an all chrome trap

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.