Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 City water leak repair
Author: sum (FL)

So my swale area outside of the property line is flooded again, called the city and they sent a crew out.

They excavated the area and exposed a 2" galvanized supply line. Looks really corroded.

There is a valve and a tee that runs across the street, and it's the line running across the street that is leaking.

So they took the line across the street out, and water was gushing. I saw the guy removed the old valve and put in a new valve connection while water was shooting out of the pipe. He was able to thread it in then turn off the valve. I was surprised he was able to do that with so much pressure coming out of that connection.

They ran a new plastic line (poly?) across the street. In the process they broke a 6" sewer line.

Question, why can't they connect the poly line to the valve directly? Why do they put in two more fittings with two more 90 degree turns?

Edited 1 times.

Re: City water leak repair
Author: m & m (MD)

The tee and plug allows for a future tap. Possibly for your next door neighbor? Where is your meter located? Around here they would have installed a corporation stop instead of that gate valve but when your main is only 12" underground who's worrying about valve selection? Was the maintenance guy wearing a rain suit when he made the wet tap?

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

when they install the new valve, they install it in the open position. so it is like screwing on a coupling. once on a few turns they can shut the valve.

Author: m & m (MD)

I'm still betting someone got a little wet in the transition. But in FLA, maybe straws are pulled to determine who gets the privilege of a soaking when temps are over 100*.

m & m, my meter is a good fifty feet away.

I am at a corner property. They had a leak in the SW corner in 2010. Now they are fixing a leak at the west side property line with my neighbor to the north. This is what they did today.

There is another leak on the south side property line where I abutt my east side neighbor. That one they have to tear up my concrete driveway. They are coming next week to do that.

Leak is popping up on every other home owner's swale area on that street.

I also asked them if they are going to install a hole cover so someone can reach down to turn the valve off they said no they just cover it.

Packy yes it was in the open position but I still think there is a lot of pressure to get that threaded in...wouldn't the pipe dope be washed off as he made the connection?

m & m, he was laying on his belly on the road, reached down to put in that valve. Didn't get too wet. The water was shooting a good 20' feet across.

Author: packy (MA)

most naturally some of the pipe dope would be washed off. just hope enough remains to make it tight..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.