Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help with expansion tank
Author: Agthompson10 (NC)

Hi I have recently replaced a t&p valve that had a leak and now the drip has returned about a week after the installation. I'm thinking there may be a issue with the expansion tank. I got a 0 psi reading from the exp tank which i assume means I need a new one. I got a reading of 85 psi from my outside hose spigot and have a prv installed that ranges from 25-75psi. My question is do I need to set the new expansion tank to match the psi of 85 at the spigot or match it based upon the prv psi range?

Re: Help with expansion tank
Author: srloren (CA)

Your expansion tank should be set to 10 psi over the pressure reading from you pressure regulated water at the hose bib. Do not take a reading before the pressure regulator or you will get the pressure your water company provides at your curb. I suggest setting your pressure regulator to 60 psi first, then filling the tank with 70 psi. YOU MUST SHUT OFF THE WATER AT THE VALVE BELOW THE PRESSURE REGULATOR AND BLEED DOWN THE PRESSURE THROUGH YOUR HOSE BIB BEFORE YOU FILL YOUR EXPANSION TANK WITH 70 PSI OF AIR. READ THE ABOVE SENTENCE AGAIN AND THEN PROCEED!

1. Set pressure regulator to 60 PSI.

2. Shut off valve below the pressure regulator.

3. Open the nearest hose bib to relieve the pressure on the house line.

4. Fill the Expansion Tank to 70 psi.

5. Open the shut off valve slowly and have someone open faucets, shower valves, etc inside to bleed the air out of the system.

6. After air has been expelled, close all faucets and shower/tub valves and hose bibs...close all valves that were opened.

7. Check your water pressure at the hose bib to verify it is at 60 psi.

Now your Expansion Tank should work properly. Good luck.

Many water meters have a check valve preventing water from coming back thru the meter and in those circumstances, you will have a closed system and the Expansion Tank is absolutely needed. Make sure it is sized correctly. Most manufacturers furnish a chart showing what is needed by pressure and size of water heater.

Author: ddbbp (KS)

Doesn't Watts and the other manufactures state to charge the tank the same as static pressure and not 10 psi over?

Edited 2 times.

Author: packy (MA)

to quote one os john wayne's kentuckians at the alamo.. "it do"..

Author: Agthompson10 (NC)

So both of my hose bibs on the outside of the house are reading 85 psi. Should I set the expansion tank to 85 psi? Or could this possibly mean there is a issue with my prv?

Author: hj (AZ)

It is somewhat immaterial as long as the tank has air in it. Too little and is effectiveness is diminished. Too much and the benefit does not kick in until expansion raises the pressure to match the tank.

Author: ddbbp (KS)

The manufactures of the expansion tanks say not to exceed 80 psi charge.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

which juuuuust 'happens' to be the code max for plumbing fixtures

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.