Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Heating Tapes For Water Lines
Author: rvnmedic6869 (NY)

We will be out of town for two weeks starting next week. We live in upstate NY and the temps have been single digits or below zero many times recently.

I believe the heating tapes to prevent freezing of water lines use low voltage. Can I leave them on continuously while we are away? The tape is only used on the two h/c water lines in the outside wall that goes up to the 2nd floor.

Thanks,

Bob

Re: Heating Tapes For Water Lines
Author: m & m (MD)

It would be no different than if you leave them on continuously while you are home. There is a thermostat on the heat tape that monitors the temperatures and brings them on accordingly. Have you considered moving these freeze-prone water lines to an interior wall to avoid the use of heat tapes altogether?

m & m (MD):

The only thing I know about the heat tape is that there's an electrical switch on the wall that turns it on/off. Other than that, I have no idea re the thermostat. Is that a standard setup? There is also a removable panel near the switch that I never opened up.

Also, no idea of the expected life of heating tapes. LOL Is there an industry standard for this?

We've been in the house for six years now and haven't had a problem with frozen pipes for the second floor powder room. I guess the tapes are working as we had a low overnight temp two weeks ago of minus 27 degrees (without the wind chill which was 38 below!).

Relocating the pipes is something I'd rather not do as long as the heating tapes work.

Thanks Again,
Bob

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I choose Heat Cord, by Frostex, rather than heat tape. Heat tape, is applied along the top or bottom, the length of a pipe.

Heat Cord, is wrapped around the OD of the pipe. Heat Cord can be double and triple wrapped to cover more area. You can add insulation to the cord wrapped pipe as well. The entire heat cord does not heat up. Only the area exposed to the lower temp does, thus making it more energy efficient. Check out the difference before you invest.

Best Wishes

Thanks, Wheelchair thumbs

Thanks, Wheelchair. I'll look into that.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.