Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Rainhead showers, but also DRIPS, while ON
Author: mikebenser (CA)

We recently redid out master bathroom and had a ceiling rainfall shower head installed. The circular shower head is quite flat (best I can tell) and has about about 180 holes through which the water is supposed to flow. When off, the head does not leak. The problem is that, when it is on, water flows out nicely, but only seemingly through about half of the holes (about the same holes each time, it seems, mostly toward one side, or half, though there are a couple of holes clearly working well on the "bad" side). On the "bad" side of the circular flat shower head, large water drops form, and drop continuously while the shower is on. Any thoughts how I might fix this? Help is appreciated!!!

-Mike

Re: Rainhead showers, but also DRIPS, while ON
Author: packy (MA)

did it ever work with all the holes shooting water or did this just happen?

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

If there's a flow restrictor in the head that might be problem. It's a volume problem either way.

packy, good question. I don't know that it was ever not this way. The shower head is only 12 months old; for some reason I did not notice it until about 7-8 months ago.

North Carolina Plumber, interesting that you're saying it's a flow restrictor problem. I really don't know if there is a flow restrictor in there or not. I can inquire / figure it out.

One interesting additional clue is that the water beading up and dripping from the "bad" area of the shower head takes a lot longer to heat up vs the water spraying out from the good area of the head. It seemed to me that maybe the head wasn't level (flat) and so water over the bad area of the head was just building up an not draining properly, which might be exacerbated by too little water flow. But strangely there are clearly a couple of really good shower holes in the bad area of the shower head, surrounded by many bad holes not showering. Strange.

Author: packy (MA)

you need to remove the shower head and look into the inlet for a flow restrictor. if you remove it you will be in violation of every law ever written and you may be flogged in public.
there also may be a filter screen in the inlet which just need to be cleaned. don't eliminate that as it keeps debris out of the 180 holes.

Author: SHEPLMBR70 (VA)

When installed, if a lot of pipe dope was used instead of tef tape, it could be clogged. Have seen this happen. Just a thought.

Author: hj (AZ)

There is a reason they send you a "nozzle" wrench with the head. IF some spray and others do not, they must be obstructed.

Author: srloren (CA)

Could be that either you have too many holes or the 1/2" shower riser does not meet the volume needed for all of those holes

Author: SHEPLMBR70 (VA)

GOOD POINT!!

Author: hj (AZ)

When one nozzle sprays and one next to it does NOT, it is usually NOT a volume problem. In fact, if it were a volume problem they would ALL basically drip equally.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.