Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Clean out for a laundry sewer line.
Author: camaro68 (WA)

A year ago we had a major remodel on our 1976 rambler home which included moving the washer and dryer. When they installed the 2" sewer line, they included a clean out. The sewer line is in the crawl space. At some point, the end of the cap on the clean out which was glued on, broke off clean about a 1/16" in from the end of the clean out. This spilled all the waste from the laundry into the crawl space and created quite an odor in the house. The contractor came out and took off the clean out and installed an elbow. My question is, is it necessary to have a clean out on that line? And if not, why would they install it originally?

Re: Clean out for a laundry sewer line.
Author: SHEPLMBR70 (VA)

If they were going to put a cleanout on it, I wonder why they didn't do a test tee and plug. Was it an over the pipe cap?

Author: packy (MA)

my code says a cleanout SHALL be installed at the base of every waste stack.
sometimes when an end cleanout is installed in a "Y" which is located in a crawlspace, it is nice to extend that cleanout thru the outside wall so the cap/plug can be accessed from outside.

But why a glue cap is what I am wondering.

The plug is a male threaded plug with a square head. We have no idea what happened to the end of the plug.

So a female adapter and plug. How did it break off? Just curious.

Author: hj (AZ)

You almost never HAVE to have a cleanout, but prudence suggests you can never have too many of them if they are installed at the correct places.

Here are photos of the clean out and where the plug belongs.

[@#$%&[s1115.photobucket.com]][/URL]

That looks like a female spigot adapter and if so it should have an internal thread that the plug screws in to.

Author: packy (MA)

we just call it an 'end cleanout'.. someone with a small flat screwdriver and a ballpeen hamer can knock out whats left of the plug and screw in a new plug.

That's right, but the end of the cap broke off just inside the end of the adaptor. The rest of the plug, the part that is threaded, is still there. How can it break off like that?

Can they get it out even though it's glued in there? That blue around the end is excess glue.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I don't think the blue is excess glue, it's Pipe Dope to keep the threads from leaking.

Edited 1 times.

So do we, but the way I described it is its "official" name.

glue would be black

Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

don't forget milky white ABS glue

I'm thinking the plug was glued in there. How would a plug that was set in pipe dope just break off inside?

It would have been really nice if the plumber installed the clean out above the floor near the washer. Have you pulled the washer to see if there is one there?

A clean out is required whenever there is a change of 135 degrees explaining or at the end of a horizontal drain.

Edited 1 times.

No, there is no clean out by the washer. The washer and dryer are enclosed with short walls and a granite top over the front loaders. Pipe dope? I didn't know it came in blue but that would make sense to make it functional. Still, the way it broke off, is puzzling. I just pulled the vapor barrier off of the whole affected area and there is no sign of the piece that broke off. The pitch is very little as it only drops about 3-3 1/2 feet at about 20' away.

An incompatible dope WILL deteriorate it and cause it to snap off. regardless, just remove the remainder of the plug, and there are many ways to do that, then install a new one.

Nothing is relevant except the dope.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.