Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 how much water from T&P?
Author: ddbbp (KS)

I am getting a miniscule amount of moisture from my T&P. Its almost unnoticeable... Its literally less than an eye dropper full every 2 days.

The only thing I can think of is that the top of the discharge pipe and valve is warm/hot and the rest of the pipe is cold. Im thinking its condensation because.....

The house pressure and temp appear OK and I have a new expansion tank. Also the valve has not been "tested" either (which usually causes drippage in my experience). I also replaced the valve a few months ago when it happened then and that seemed to fix it since for a few months it didn't occur.

If you can speculate that would be great... my questions:

How much water and for how long of a duration would you see from a T&P valve in the case of overheating, pressure or a faulty valve? I am assuming that I would get significant water on temperature and still a more noticeable (more than a cup?) on pressure.

Is my condensation theory bogus since this isnt a pressurized pipe nor is their sweating on the exterior of the pipe?

Should I just forget about it and not do anything until it dumps water?

Edited 3 times.

Re: how much water from T&P?
Author: hj (AZ)

1. There is no way it could be condensation
2. If it opens because of temperature it will continue to run until the water cools down
3. IF it opens due to pressure it will run until the excess pressure is released.

Author: ddbbp (KS)

and that's more than an eye dropper worth in both case I assume? I would actually see it dripping which I have not. Is that safe to assume? and if so, what the heck is going on?

Author: hj (AZ)

Well, since water in not compressible, which is why you have the expansion tank, it might only take a small amount of water to increase the pressure, IF the tank in not functioning properly.

Author: srloren (CA)

Put a pressure gauge on a hose bib. What does your water pressure gauge tell you? You should have no more than 80 psi on your service. I set the prv to 50 to 60 if the client is ok with it. They will waste less water with a lower pressure.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.