Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 sewer liner
Author: jstevenson58 (OH)

I would like an unbiased opinion.I have had to have Roto Rooter or other plumbers clean out the sewer line a couple of times per year the past 4 years because of tree roots. They always tell me that they want to use a camera to look at the condition of the line or the obstruction and then tell me that I need to buy a sewer liner at a hefty cost. Is that really necessary? What could happen if I do not get a liner? Thanks

Re: sewer liner
Author: SHEPLMBR70 (VA)

If you are having constant problems with roots, it's a good bet that you have a break in the line. It's either line it or have the section replaced. Get a few estimates though. But camera is the only way to find out for sure.

Author: packy (MA)

have you tried putting chemical root killer into a clean pipe? may work well enough to keep root infestation away. i had a customer who i suggested this to. she had to have the line cleared a couple of times a year. since using the chemical she has no problems and it has been many years.
no guarantee it will work for you but it did for my customer.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

If there is an issue and you want to reline, please remember that its a "speciality job" not a plumbers job. You might want to have your sewer line camera'd to determine if you have faults and exactly where they are located by footage. Once it has been determined that you have a defect and root invasion, you have several options. Chemicals, ID Clearing and Relining. Chemicals are the easiest to use as a remedy and cheapest. If you choose relining, the ID of the pipe must cleaned and dried before the lining is applied or the epoxy is sprayed and allowed to dry. The line is scope'd again with a camera to ensure the job was done correctly with all areas covered.
Companies that reline, are usually contracted out by plumbers, and sewer cleaning companies. Ask your community authority if they have any recommendations before you begin the process. They might have some tangible advice as well.

Best Wishes

Author: hj (AZ)

If roots invade the pipe again, between the pipe and the liner, and "push" the liner off of the pipe, then you will know it was not done properly, but not until then.

Edited 1 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

If you have not used a chemical root killer (copper sulfate) yet, it would be your best option at this point, especially if you have had the line cleaned just recently. It may be all the maitenance you'll need.

Author: srloren (CA)

I agree that using chemicals is the first plan of action. I would then run the camera down to see what and where the problem/s are. Only then can you make an intelligent decision but if it is a break in the line I would tend to dig it up and repair it. You need to camera the line first.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.