Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Leaking Shower
Author: Russianrat (MD)

Our condo is on the first floor of our building, partially on slab and partially over an area with storage closets and a carport. The master bedroom/bath area is on the slab and the bathroom has a travertine tiled shower. A while ago, when the shower was being used, and I was leaving, I noted that water was actively dripping/running from the ceiling of the carport area, 8-10 or more feet from the shower. I cut a hole in the ceiling drywall and looked in, but could only see that water was running from the direction of the shower's location.

We are trying to get the condo ready to sell, and want to repair the shower. The couple of contractors that I have talked to want to tear everything out and start from scratch, but this is not an option that we can afford. I realized that without seeing things it is hard to diagnose, but I am planning to have the line camera'ed to make sure there is nothing obvious, but can anyone advise if it would make sense to re-do the drain and shower pan if nothing obvious is found with the camera? Can anyone make any recommendations on what else to check or what to do?

Re: Leaking Shower
Author: m & m (MD)

If you have positively verified that the shower is the fixture that is leaking, then you basically have three areas of possibility: the faucet and associated plumbing behind the tile wall, the shower drain and panning material, or the tile wall itself (least likely). The faucet is easiest to check; have you checked it?

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Plug the drain and fill the base with water. That will confirm whether the pan will need to be removed or not.

Author: Russianrat (MD)

Wouldn't the faucet continue to leak even if the shower is turned off? There is no access to the back of the faucet/water line. I was thinking about pouring a couple of buckets down the drain to check that side. THoughts?

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

OK, to check the faucet and piping remove the shower head, cap the arm and turn the faucet on. That will tell you if that section is leaking.
Plug the drain, fill the pan with water and check for leaks, that will tell you if that part is leaking.
Take a bottle of water and saturate the area around the faucet plate then check for water underneath.

Author: hj (AZ)

You do NOT know if it is a drain, and even if it were a camera INSIDE the pipe would likely NOT show anything. Using the camera inside the floor under the shower would be more sensible.

Author: srloren (CA)

Maybe an easy way to check the valve is to get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it up and not allow any water to enter the drain. Then check if the water is leaking. You may have to do this two or three times pouring the water down the the toilet drain each time. It may take some time for the water to start leaking, so take your time and see if it is the valve. Shower pans can be problematic due the the way that the drain is sealed to the shower pan drain hole. Some pan drains are metal and some are Plastic. Google shower drain rubber seals. When you install these seals you must have smooth pipe to seal against. (Sometimes the plumber gets wild with the ABS glue and you get a run down the pipe. This can make it difficult to seal.) Good luck

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.