Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Combi Boiler Noise
Author: HomeownerNY07 (NY)

I have a Monitor MZ25C combi boiler with an indirect water heater. Here's my problem...when water heater water temperature falls naturally, meaning nobody is using water but the water in the tank is just cooling off after sitting for a long period of time, the magnetic zone valve will open, the boiler's circulator pump will kick on and the boiler will fire as it should. When the water temp in the water tank reaches the set level (120 degrees after about 2-3 minutes), the zone valve will shut and the circulator and boiler firing will also cease at the same time. The issue is that when the zone valve, fire and circulator all shut down at the same time, there is a thudding noise followed by a series of smaller thuds and the pressure indicator on the boiler jumps up and down a few PSIG.

This noise doesn't occur when hot water from the hot water tank is being used and new cold water is being introduced to the water heater. In these instances, the boiler water reachs it's high limit and stops firing, but the zone valve and circulator remain open and on. When the water in the tank reaches the set temp, the zone valve closes and circulator stops and there is no noise.

I've owned the house for a year and this didn't start happening until a few weeks ago. Pressure is 1.4 BAR cold and rises to about 2.0 BAR when pump on and water is hot.

Re: Combi Boiler Noise
Author: packy (MA)

overheating and making steam ??
does the boiler circulator pump have different speeds? if so, turn it to a higher speed.

The circulator has a low, med, high setting. It's always been on medium, but I'll flip it to high and see what happens.

Possibly boiling/steam since the water comes to a hault due to the zone valve closing and stopping the circulator flow when the heat exchanger is still very hot. It's a quick series of thuds. Maybe 6-7 and lasts about a second or two. Would it make sense to turn down the temperature control knob on the boiler itself? Right now it's at the highest setting. The range is 68°F to 176°F.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Is that an indirect water heater, or a storage tank? Is there a potable water expansion tank?

Indirect water heater. There is an expansion tank inside the boiler that serves the water heater zone/loop. There's also a seperate expansion tank that serves the heating zones that's outside the boiler.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Generally, an indirect water heater would be used with a standard boiler, not a combi. It has a coil in it, and would be plumbed as a heating zone, that would in turn heat the domestic hot water. A combi boiler has a separate heat exchanger to heat the domestic hot water directly, and if the requirements of the house were met, would not require a tank, of any kind. Often they fall short of meeting the requirements and a storage tank is added to increase hot water capacity. All it needs to be, is a tank, at quite a bit cheaper than an indirect.I'm not quite sure what has been done with your installation, and it would require someone on-site.

The problem was a water logged expansion tank in the boiler that serves the hot water heater loop. Replaced it and now there is no noise. I made a mistake in my post. My boiler is not considered a true "combi" in that it does not serve as a tankless water heater. It feeds a zone loop that heats a indirect water heater.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.