Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 is this a knock out plug causing poor drainage ?
Author: cabby1 (CA)

Hi all. Plumbing noob here. We live in a newly constructed home and noticed our master shower was not draining very well. So I unscrewed the metal guard and took a look down and I see this 2 inch waxy / plastic thing about 5 inches from the top with the words “ knock out". Now there is a small hole that appears to have been drilled open in this thing that is about 3/4 inches wide. So the shower water is being forced to go down this tiny opening instead of the whole thing being open. What is this thing? Should it be here? I feel like this is what is causing the water to drain so poorly . Should I drill more holes? It appears to be glued on so I can't just " lift it off ". Any suggestions appreciated!

Re: is this a knock out plug causing poor drainage ?
Author: steve (CA)

Yes, that plug is causing the problem. Do you have a warranty on the property? The plug should be fully removed, without any sharp remnants sticking out that will catch hair and cause another blockage. A hole saw on an extension would remove the whole plug.

Author: hj (AZ)

Hitting it with a long screwdriver will break it out, but you also have to be sure not to let it fall into the drain line.

I tried hitting it and it feels like it's glued solid. Can I cut it out with a small saw ourr knife? For my information what is this and what should have been the correct procedure at install? Yes, all is under warranty but I like getting things done myself.

Author: AnokaCountyTornado (MN)

If you have a warranty, get those folks out to fix their problem. They need to know they screwed up. Besides, if you damage something in your process, then it will be your problem no matter where that expense and issues go. You will have given these people an out.....................

Author: bernabeu (SC)

If you MUST DIY (not recommended):

Use a toggle on an eye-bolt with a cord to hook the plastic knock out so it can not drop.

Use a LONG flat screwdriver to 'chisel' around the outer edge of the piece until it comes free.

Slow and easy with patience.

You are welcome smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

It IS "glued solid" so it could be water tested, but it IS called a "knock out plug" so it can be removed by a few taps on a screwdriver.

Thanks to all clap

Thanks to all. I resisted the urge to fix it myself and called the builders and they came and knocked it out but the plug fell into the drain..... They said it would be fine. Famous last words.....

Edited 1 times.

The knockout SHOULD be the same size as the drain so it will stay in there and flop open and closed like a butterfly valve.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

They said it would be fine.

What a bunch of Toric Ka-Ka frowning

Have them retrieve the piece.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

This is precisely why I prefer to do things myself. If you wanna get things done right....

Author: sharp1 (IL)

You might try a shop wet/dry vac to retrieve it. It won't make it worse and maybe it will come out.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks to all clap
Author: mrmac (TX)

Fine if it gets past the trap, and the bends until it reaches a larger branch. I would make them get a camera out and confirm is gone out to the city sewer. Maybe that expense will spur them to do it right the first time.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.