Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Removing a Union
Author: jimmydean (CA)

Hi - I have a water line running to my garden sprinkler and I want to replace it with PVC. See picture: How easy is it to remove the union?

Does this pipe look normal for being buried for 30 years? I plan to extend it with PVC adding a shutoff valve and new sprinkler valves.

Basic question, what is the best way to remove the union so that I can put a PVC coupler on. I would prefer not to have to cut the pipe. The line is pressurized and the only way to service it is to shut off the main water supply.

James

Edited 1 times.

Re: Replacing a pipe
Author: hj (AZ)

You SHOULD NOT do it. You need a "pressure backflow preventer/vacuum breaker" at the point where you connect your sprinkler lines AND since PVC is brittle, you should NOT use PVC until AFTER the bfp.

Thanks HJ cool

Thanks HJ - Yes, for sure I will put in a backflow preventer on the garden side. The plan is as follows:

1) Shut off main water supply
2) Remove union and old galvanized runs towards garden side (the two pipes)
3) Install a Gal to PVC union
4) Install shutoff valve on the PVC side
5) Turn on main water supply
6) Continue working on garden side with new sprinklers (with BFP etc)

Make sense?

James

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

The BFP is USUALLY the first thing and it is attached to the steel, copper, or brass pipe so it does NOT crack the pipe.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

The BFP will have its own valves integral to the unit.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: srloren (CA)

Have you considered replacing the entire line. It looks as if it could rust through at any moment in time....not what makes you sleep at night. Good luck.

The rest of the pipe runs under concrete where it connects to the house... would prefer not to deal with that. It does appear very old and rusted.

I'm going to attempt to remove the union and cap it off until I'm ready for the next step.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.