Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Moen Shower Faucet Repair
Author: Doug9421 (Non-US)

I hope someone can help me as I am stumped. About 10 - 15 years ago I installed a Moen Shower faucet. It was a high end faucet when purchased and is one of those that mix the hot with the cold water. I now need to replace the valve as it is starting to leak. My problem is that I cannot get the handle off to get at the valve. This sounds totally stupid to me but it is true. I have taken the set screw out of the handle and the handle is one piece so there is not a screw going into the front of the valve. I can see nothing else holding the handle in place but it will not come off. I have pulled it as hard as I dare as I will be in more trouble if the solder weld breaks. Is there something else I need to remove or have the pieces come fused together and I just need more force?

Re: Moen Shower Faucet Repair
Author: hj (AZ)

More force. The "adapter" is cheap metal and it has "fused" itself to the stem and the handle.

Author: srloren (CA)

Try a handle puller. When you screw the screw in it pulls the handle off.

Author: SHEPLMBR70 (VA)

Did you take out the retaining clip?

Author: JLNY (NY)

How is he supposed to remove the retaining clip if he can't get the handle off?

Author: SHEPLMBR70 (VA)

brain fart on my part. Pardon me

He is trying to get the HANDLE off so he can get to the retaining clip.

There is NO "screw" in the center of the handle. It is in the side of the handle and goes INTO an adapter on the stem, which is accessible once the handle is REMOVED.

Author: Hellatrix (UT)

Is there any chance the set screw on my moen shower handle is no longer in the handle but the handle is still attached? It seems to me like the screw is not even in the hole. The handle wiggles greatly and leaks like a Ford. I need it off to replace the cartridge but I can not remove it. I'm thinking the hex hole is stripped or the whole damn screw is gone and because the plumbing hasn't been so much as looked at in years the handle is just somehow rusted or mineralized on still. It looks suspicious. I can see a small hole down in the bigger channel. I can also see screw lines on the sides of the channel about half way down.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.