Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Problems with bridge style wall mount kitchen sink
Author: iamthespoon (OH)

Hello All.

Thanks in advance for any help and I apologize for lack of clarity and proper terminology below.

The kitchen sink in my home is a large, restaurant style with a faucet very similar to this one:

I've measured the bridge and its total length is 8 in, so I'm guessing that means it's an 8 in fixed center bridge body.

A few days ago, it became impossible to shut off the hot water entirely. I've been looking for an excuse to replace the faucet anyway, so no big deal.

I bought and have received a replacement but am not going to be able to install it. In the description for the one I bought it says:
"2-1/2" Offset Inlet Supply Arm with 1/2" NPT Female Thread Inlet"

The two problems I have encountered are that it seems the pipes coming out of the wall are female end, so I need the faucet to have the male end, which is fair enough. I just didn't realize that when I made the order.

The other problem I'm less sure about. The pipes coming out of the wall are larger in diameter than the connections for the faucet. I'm thinking the faucet expects a 1/2" pipe, based on the description above. How do I know what size inlet I actually need (presuming that's the right word)? I've already called the manufacturer of the faucet I bought and they say that all of their faucets are 1/2" NPT, so they don't even have an option I can work with. Is there some other standard size? Do I just need to measure the diameter myself and round up or down to get the size? Where can I find faucets with this size once I do know it? Is there an adapter option?

Thanks for all help and apologies for not knowing what I'm talking about.

Re: Problems with bridge style wall mount kitchen sink
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

That faucet looks exactly like Chicago Faucet Brass Kitchen Deck Faucet with 18 inch spout. T&S Brass makes a similar with a double joint spout. Both faucets come with a screw-operated stops in the base when ordered. Both are 8 inch centers.

Both companies also make a 6 inch faucet with long spouts and adjustable shanks to adjust to 8 inches if necessary. All 4 faucets use 1/2 threaded pipe in the supplies.

The faucets with 2-1/2 inch shanks will sit higher than the old base.

Knowing who's faucet you have would make it easier.

Best Wishes

Thanks for your help thumbs
Author: iamthespoon (OH)

Hi Wheelchair,

Thanks for your help. I agree it would be great if I had the manual for the faucet, but the prior owners of the house must have pitched it. I have manuals for just about everything else, but not the kitchen faucet.

The old faucet does look pretty much exactly like that one, but I don't think it can actually be that model. The reason I say that is because I called Chicago Faucet and they say that all of theirs are 1/2" NPT, and the old faucet inlets (not sure if that's the right word or not) are larger, maybe 5/8"?

So while it looks like a Chicago Faucets model, I don't think it can be (and unfortunately I don't think I can replace it with anything from Chicago Faucets since all of their models are 1/2", unless there's some kind of adapter). Any ideas?

Edited 1 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

What Chicago Faucet said was true. The same would apply to T&S Brass as well. The supply pipe in the wall is 1/2 inch male pipe thread. The faucet shank begins 1/2 inch female threads.

You have to remove the old chrome shank to expose the 1/2 inch male pipe. On your new replacement faucet with the adjustable shanks you are trying to connect a new shank with an old shank and that will not work.

Ideally, you could have ordered the original 8 inch faucet base, less mounting shanks and just connect the new faucet base to the old shanks.

What complicates the issue is the shanks are not compatible with other brands because of the special threads. Could you take a picture of your shanks?

Best Wishes

Author: packy (MA)

are you removing the entire chrome connection that butts up against the back of the sink? or are you just breaking the chrome unions to remove the faucet body?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

your faucet has this part ! or something VERY similar

one side is pipe threaded (99% it is 1/2"winking smiley

one side is proprietary to the particular faucet

either:

find an identical faucet to 'swap out' using the installed mount

or

start from scratch with a new faucet

or

repair your existing and excellent faucet in place

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

Qre you looking at the union connections, rather than the ones BEHIND the large chrome rings, because ALL wall mount faucets are for 1/2" male pipes, (well except for some cheap restauant faucets which DO have 1/2" male stubs, but are NOT for mounting on the wall.

Author: southpawboston (MA)

I don't know how old this thread is, but I was searching for "Chicago Faucet" and found this thread.

I have the model of Chicago Faucet shown in the photo. It's the 540 series. It's a wall-mount body that uses inlet shanks with 1-1/8" female connector to the valve body and 1/2" female NPT threads to connect to the water supply.

But the valves themselves are replaceable, so why replace the whole faucet? Chicago makes both ceramic cartridge valves and compression valves to fit this model.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.