Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Riser diagram
Author: RMM2073 (NJ)

Attached is a riser diagram of what I have found. The piping shown in yellow highlight I installed new and the non highlighted is what was discovered. You will see that there was no venting for the 2nd floor lavatories, shower and bath tub. Both 2nd floor toilets exceed the required distance for 3" waste so I added a 2" vent for each. I also ran a 2" vent from the lavatories and tub and showers and combined them in the attic to vent (1) 2" through the roof.

I'm not one hundred percent sure of the 1st floor bathroom connections but I know the 1 1/2" vent to the utility lavatory connects as shown. Excluding the 1st floor toilet, the other devices may also be going to the drywell.

It appears that only the toilets are drained to the septic system.

I need to find out if a drywell is allowed by local codes. If so would any additional work be required?
Would this be a common setup for a drywell?

[s1077.photobucket.com]

Re: Riser diagram
Author: bernabeu (SC)

deleted

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

link does not work.

[s1077.photobucket.com]

If I read the drawing correctly, the 2" and 3" vents on the left serve absolutely no purpose and most of the other vents were for the toilets, which technically do NOT need vents. Almost none of the other traps are vented or vented properly. The one toilet which DOES need a vent, and has none, is the one on the lower elevation connected to the main line.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks, The 1st fl toilet waste goes directly through the slab and out to the septic system. What would be the simplest way to achieve this?

The 2 toilets on the second floor are vented with 2" pipe because their distance from the stack exceeds 6' according to UPC for 3" pipe. Why wouldn't they require vents?

The lavs, tub and shower are connected to a 2" secondary vent. Why can't they be wet vented?

The 2" vent picks up the washer and sink on the 1st fl.

Edited 2 times.

Author: packy (MA)

sorry.. please don't be insulted but there are so many things wrong with that set-up, i don't even know where to start.

No insults, but that's what I found when I opened everything up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Author: packy (MA)

where the sink drains go into the wall, instead of an elbow looking down, they need to be a sanitary tee with the vent coming off the top. the downstairs toilet needs a vent because the upstairs bathroom drains into that stack.
the utility sink is an example of how a vent should look.
the downstairs shower isn't perfect but it is sorta wet vented thru the utility sink.
there is an awful lot going on there...

Can the 2nd floor sink, shower and tub be wet vented? or should I just connect all three sinks vents with 1 1/2" and tie them into the 2" off the toilet and shower which go up through the roof?

Any advice on venting the 1st fl toilet, sink and shower which are concreted below the slab? Can this be achieved thru the utility vent somehow?

The 1st fl utility sink vent you mention is also connected to the kitchen sink on the second fl which vents into the main 3" vent.

Can the 2" vents for the 2nd fl toilets be within 1' of the 90 out of the toilet?

Since the showers and tub have not been mentioned, the venting is good?

Edited 1 times.

1. There is NO "simple" way to do it
2. It is a technical issue rather than a code one. Toilets work on the principle of an "S" trap so a vent which prevents "S" trap siphonage would be counterproductive.
3. They can be but if your drawing is correct, the lavs CANNOT vent with that "wet vent'
4. Again, the way you have the washer and sink drawn, that vent is completely useless.

Ok...I opened up the wall behind the utility sink on the 1st fl. Lav BR3 1st fl is vented with a 1 1/2" sanitary T piped above to the utility sink vent.

1. Does this satisfy the vent for the 1st fl toilet and shower?

2. Can the 1st fl lav next to the washer be vented into the 2" vertical vent above or can an air admittance valve be used here?

3. CANNOT, meaning code or physically?

4. So, the three lavs on the second fl, Either need to connect all 3 and vent out of the top into the nearest 2" vent on right or vent out of lav BR2 and connect to the 2" vent to the left and the remaining lavs and shower and tub are considered wet vented or connect the 2" vent from BR1 toilet to the 2" lav drain?

5. With the 2" vents within 1' of the 2nd fl toilets 90, This will satisfy code for exceeding maximum distance from the stack?

1. It is marginally okay for the shower, but NOTHING will vent the toilet except revising its connection the main stack riser.
2. Yes, but the washer ALSO has to be vented there, because according to your drawing the washer is NOT vented.
3. BOTH.
4. It depends on HOW you connect them together. As drawn, there is NO WAY they can be wet vented.
5.It depends on HOW you run the vent and connect to the toilet line.

1. So I need to get a vent from the 3" at the 1st fl toilet up above the flood rim line of the 2nd fl fixtures.

2. The washer trap is only 1' from the lav. Can't the lav vent be used for the washer?

3. How would you wet vent the 2nd fl lavs?

4. Install a vent from BR2 lav into 2" vent on left up through the roof?

5. BR1 and BR2 - 2" vents at 45 1' off the toilet 90 straight up through the roof.

6. The shower and tub are considered vented?

1. The toilet needs a completely different connection to the main riser and a vent off of THAT
2. The way you have them drawn the washer and lav are "S" traps and there is NO WAY to vent them without repiping them properly. "Distance" is not the issue.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.