Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 What is this pipe and how to fix?
Author: FrustratedNoob (KY)

There's this wierd little pipe protruding out of the ground in my basement and I have no idea what it is (or called). It is shooting water every where whenever the toilet is flushed and it sometimes contains shredded toilet paper. My home is almost 70yrs old, if that helps. It is located next to my ancient clean out pipe. I was wondering if anyone here can identify this pipe and help identify the reason it's malfunctioning.

The pipe has always looked like that since I bought it a year ago (facing has 7 holes) and it hasn't done this until yesterday. It seemed to be clogged at the face yesterday with toilet paper, so I helped break it up via wire coat hanger. The face is no longer blocked but now it shoots out water about a ft high when the toilets flushed. I would appreciate any help or insight.

Edited 2 times.

Re: What is this pipe and how to fix?

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

It is the remains of an air admittance valve. It's suppose to have a spring loaded rubber diaphragm covering the holes to keep the water and odors inside the pipe, and it opens up when theres a vacuum on the pipe to allow air to enter. You could probably unscrew it and put a plug in it's place. You may have other issue, such as a partially clogged sewer pipe that's causing the water to come back up thru that pipe.

Thanks for your reply big grin

Thanks for your reply. What would you do personally? Can I get a replacement cap? If not, what should I plug it with?

Edited 1 times.

Personally I would use a 1 1/2" PVC cleanout plug and screw it into the existing female adapter. An air admittance valve shouldn't be subject to water splashing up against the diaphragm. Yours, being that low and subject to water wouldn't last too long if you replace it.

I did plug it and flushed the toilet to see if it worked. The water poured in behind my washer. Making me believe I have a main line clogged. I'll send a pic of the plumbing setup.

A) Bathroom sink
cool smiley Toilet
C) Bathtub
D) Kitchen sink & Dish washer

The water was coming from the spot I pointed a arrow at. This was after I plugged it.

I can hear the water coming down freely from pipe B. I was hoping this would be a simple fix but it seems not.

Edited 1 times.

I've ran a 15ft auger through the clean out, AAV pipe and the pipe running from the washer. The AAV pipe gave nothing. The washer pipe gave a small piece of paper towel hooked onto the auger mid ways. The Clean out produced a black fiber mass at the head of the auger.

Nothing has changed. Any water used comes out the AAV pipe. If I plug the AAV pipe, water comes flooding from the washer pipe.

×The Clean out only goes 1 way (9 o'clock).

×The AAV runs one way (2 o'clock).

I really can't afford a plumber at the moment, hoping for some help. I wouldn't mind paying a man for doing this task but I literally have nothing to give. I appreciate the help so far.

Thanks for the help thumbs

I fixed it finally!!! I plugged all drains in the house and vigorously flushed the toilet. It came at a cost though, my sink broke a pipe (2 pipes came un-glued). Will fix tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Edited 1 times.

I'm glad you were able to clear the pipe.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.