Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Complete bathroom gut job
Author: RMM2073 (NJ)

OK...after ripping out down to the studs, joists and rafters I found all kinds of gifts. electrical splices, improper venting, wet venting, no venting, water supply lines that back tracked themselves, poor soldered joints that broke apart with a little pressure and leaks.

On the second floor between a kitchen and a second bathroom I have two toilets that are 7' and 12' from the main stack that will require secondary venting with a 2" vent at the toilets that will tie together above the ceiling and then through the roof with one 2" vertical vent.

Also on the second floor I found that there is a 2" drain line that picks up a shower, 3 lavatories and 1 tub/shower that drops to the first floor and then picks up a washer machine and utility sink and then goes out below grade. I am assuming that a drywell was put in because I do not see any tie in to the main which goes out to a septic tank. I have heard that grey water can be drained to a dry well, but can these other devices also drain to the dry well?

Also on the second floor I have to reroute the main stack line at the second floor by approx. 2'(90 horizontal 90 vertical for 6' 90 horizontal to tie back into the main stack in the attic before exiting the roof. This is to accommodate a niche wall.

The 2" drain I mentioned before is used as a wet vent. I was going to tie the end of this line into the same 2" vent added for the 12' toilet (above flood rim level).

And lastly, the kitchen sink 1 1/2" drain also drops into the 2" drain line that goes outside. It runs horizontal for about 4' and 45 down into a sanitary T which is right before the 2" sanitary T in the vertical run that goes outside. So two questions on this, can it go to a dry well and using the 45 into the sanitary T rotated at 45 acceptable. There is no available room to install a TY and I cant go through the joist because it would be in the middle third of the joist.

Re: Complete bathroom gut job
Author: hj (AZ)

Are YOU qualified to diagnose "improper venting, no venting, and wet venting", or are you just guessing based on what you THINK they are/

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Are you doing the work yourself or contracting it out. Who's pulling the permits?
Best Wishes

I'm obtaining the permits and performing the work myself.

I am not a licensed plumber if that's what you are referring to. There are very basic rules and then there are the details.

Author: packy (MA)

you have multiple floors with multiple fixtures on each floor.
try asking questions one at a time rather than tossing a whole bunch at once.
i'm a but confused over what you are asking???

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I hope and wish the best for you, in your endeavor. I hope you do better than the one who did the hack job.
Best Wishes

Thanks for your advice thumbs

Thanks for your advice. I most certainly will.

Edited 1 times.

I'm not sure how else to breakdown each of the plumbing concerns. There are 5 separate concerns.

1. The first one is proper venting of the 2 toilets locate on the 2nd floor that exceed the maximum distance to the stack for a 3" sanitary line.

2. The second floor bathroom has a 2" drain line that picks up a shower 2" drain, 3 lavatories 1 1/2"drain and 1 tub/shower 1 1/2" drain. There is a 1 1/2" vent in the 2" drain at the shower. The remaining 2" drain line is a wet vent. I have eliminated the 1 1/2" vent and installed a 2" vent off the 2" drain vertical run to the first floor and tied it into the main stack above the flood rim line and also a 2" vent tied into the 2" vent for the toilet which is 12' from the stack. This 2" drain that goes down to the 1st floor has a washer machine drain 2" and utility sink 1 1/12" connected to it and then goes out below grade. I am assuming that a drywell was put in because I do not see any tie in to the 3" main which goes out to a septic tank. I have heard that grey water can be drained to a dry well, but can these other devices also drain to the dry well?

3.The second floor 3" stack needs to be rerouted by approx. 2'(90 horizontal 90 vertical for 6' 90 horizontal to tie back into the main stack in the attic before exiting the roof. This is to accommodate a niche wall.

4. The kitchen located on the 2nd floor with the bathroom shares a common wall with the bathroom. The kitchen sink 1 1/2" drain runs horizontal in the floor for about 4' and 45 down into a sanitary T at a 45 which is right before the 2" sanitary T in the vertical run that goes outside. So two questions on this, can it go to a dry well and using the 45 into the sanitary T rotated at 45 acceptable. There is no available room to install a TY and I cant go through the joist because it would be in the middle third of the joist.

Is there a way to forward a riser diagram to better explain the plumbing?

Author: packy (MA)

1) the toilets may be able to be vented thru a lav drain and it's 2 inch vent. that is a classic 'wet vent'.

2) are none of the sinks vented inside the walls? the vent for a sink must be higher than the trap. i can no start below the floor.

3) thats OK as long as the re-routing takes place above the flood rim of the highest fixture it serves.

4) you have to ask the local authority about dry wells. around here they are not allowed.

5) make your drawing, scan it or take a picture of it and send it to photobucket.com.. from there you can post it to here.

Author: hj (AZ)

What I meant was that YOU may THINK your venting is insufficient or improper, but that might not be the case at all.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

multiple floors

multiple fixtures on each

run an old fashioned 'wet' stack AND a separate vent stack - individually vent each fixture to the vent stack

a few bucks in additional material

a DIYer's time is of no consequence

eg.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Attached is a riser diagram of what I have found. The piping shown in yellow highlight I installed new and the non highlighted is what was discovered. You will see that there was no venting for the 2nd floor lavatories, shower and bath tub. Both 2nd floor toilets exceed the required distance for 3" waste.

I'm not one hundred percent sure of the 1st floor bathroom connections but I know the 1 1/2" vent to the utility lavatory connects as shown. Excluding the 1st floor toilet, the other devices may also be going to the drywell.

It appears that only the toilets are drained to the septic.

I need to find out if a drywell is allowed by local codes. If so would any additional venting be required?
Would this be a common setup for a drywell?

[s1077.photobucket.com]

Edited 2 times.

Thank you. The added issue is that I cannot physically get all of the vents to the main stack and will require a secondary vent means. I posted a riser diagram earlier depicting what I found and new work performed to my post "complete bathroom gut job".

Thank you. Please see posted riser diagram.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

warning warning warning

the OP's photobucket link opened a 'media player required' box along with the riser diagram

DO NOT CLICK on it

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.