Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sink faucet dripping after a couple hours
Author: tumbleweed29 (CA)

We recently had our bathroom renovated and the contractors had installed new plumbing and two new Toto sink faucet fixtures in the vanity. When the water is shut off, there's no leak detected but usually 7+ hours later, I'll see a little puddle in the sink and a water droplet on the tip of the spout. All new hot and cold cartridges were replaced on both faucets. A new water pressure regulator was put in and set at 50psi, which is well under the 80psi that the faucet can run at. Not sure where to go from here, is it a faucet or a plumbing issue? Both faucets are acting the same way. My contractor has no clue to why this is happening.

Any ideas?

Re: Sink faucet dripping after a couple hours
Author: steve (CA)

Was the regulator put in because of this issue? Either bad cartridge(s) or excessive pressure. What's the street water pressure? Is there an expansion tank installed/checked?

The cartridges were replaced with a set of brand new ones so we ruled that out and started checking the water pressure. We had an old regulator and my plumber tested it wasn't working as it should so we replaced it with a new one. It measured around 110psi before the new regulator was put in, but it's set to 50psi now.

I don't think we have an expansion tank, at least I've never seen one in/around the house.

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

You should check the water pressure with a gauge that has a lazy hand. This gauge has 2 hands, one reads the current pressure and the other reads the maximum pressure that has occurred. Connect the gauge and leave it on for 24 hours with normal water usage in the house. Without an expansion tank, the expansion of the heated water will raise the pressure in the system and it could exceed what the cartridges can hold back.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Can you determine if the dripping waters are HOT or COLD. That would save you 50% of the time needed to correct the issue as waters are passing the cartridges or the aerator is holding debris and water. How much dripping in ounces per hour are the drips.

Best Wishes

Tested it's both hot and cold sides. The drips are very little that I can't even measure but I can see it puddled in the sink but I never see it actually dripping. I'm testing it right now with a glass bowl underneath and leave it for 8 hours and do a second test for another 8 hours to see if the water amount is the same or less to determine if it's residual water.

Another related note, we have a horizontal spout in the shower tub and it dribbles water for a day or two and on the third day it stopped leaking. We had thought the problem went away since the bathroom is still being worked on we haven't been using that tub. However, we tested it again and turned on the water and turned it off at 8pm last night and this morning at 8am, we saw and heard it dribbling water from the spout again. In this case, it seems like residual water because there were days in between (when we didn't touch or use the tub faucet) where it was not dripping at all. It just seems abnormal, why on earth would there be residual water for a couple days then it dries up? Then the tub will always be wet and stained.

The shower diverter and spout are from Newport Brass and the sink faucets are Toto.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

UNFORTUNEATLY

frowning

It is ALL junk today

frowning

My personal choice is Kohler (albeit not what it once was)

frowning

BEST OF LUCK

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.