Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bathtub won't drain. Not clogged.
Author: Falken79 (OH)

Hello everyone, and thanks to everyone that answers my post.

I have a bathtub that will not drain. Not even slowly.

The tub in question is in a home, built in 2001. I am not the original owner, so I did not put the original drain in. The drain is of the twist lock/drop down variety. (ie, pull up and twist to let the water out) The overflow escutcheon is just a blank cover. I've removed the twist lock portion/assembly and the overflow cover. The water still will not leave the tub. I've taken a snake (electrical snake), and fed it into the drain horizontally, and it goes back about 9 inches before stopping. I've taken the snake and fed it down the overflow tube, and it stops after maybe 24 inches, quite far, well past the tee between the overflow and drain assembly. It has not pulled up any hair or debris. The entirety of the drain that I have inspected seems to fairly clean.

I'm at a loss. The next step, if no one here has any idea, is to open up the floor from below the tub. ie. first floor ceiling.

My concern, is that it might have previously had a linkage style drain stopper, and the previous own left the assembly in the tub, and just added the twist style drain plug to it.

Any idea? Thanks in advance.

Re: Bathtub won't drain. Not clogged.
Author: packy (MA)

you need to get a snake that is the right size and has the right head on it so you can snake down the overflow and get thru the trap.
if you are renting one, explain to the person at the tool rental and they can give you the correct equipment.

An electrical snake is very thin and flexible and easily turn through 3/4" conduit and raceways. Without a doubt it could go through a trap. Problem is, I don't believe it is making it to the trap. The water sat in the tub for 3 days until I made it back home, and the level hasn't dropped at all. I don't think it is clogged.

Author: steve (CA)

The radius of a conduit bend is greater than the radius of an 1½" trap. I don't think a flat electrical tape will push through and of you went 2 feet down through the overflow, you're past the tee and should be at the trap.

Author: srloren (CA)

Go to your HomeDepot or Hardware and purchase a tool that can retrieve things from your overflow. You may have the plug for an original tub waste and overflow. They can come detached from the wires that go to the lever handle. If it is the plug it could be stuck down inside the trap and difficult to retrieve. You have to continue to try with the retriever and you may get lucky and grab it. Bring it out slowly and be prepared to put pressure on it with a screw driver to hold it so you can get a new grip in it to remove it out of the overflow mouth. Do you have access to the trap through a panel? You may have to remove your waste and overflow and just enter the trap to get the plug out. If it is not the Plug, hair is notorious for stopping up tubs, lavatories etc. Good luck and you may need a helper to be in the tub to help you remove the waste and overflow. Be sure to put putty around the re-install of the waste and overflow. You may end up calling a Plumber. If you do explain what you have and what you have tried to fix it. Good luck.

srloren - this was my suspicion as well. The fact that you are suggesting the same thing only confirms my fear. Also, there is no access panel, other than going through the ceiling underneath (second story bathroom), which will most likely be the next step. Drywall is no obstacle. The next obstacle, really, will be draining the tub. I've already got about 90% of it out. I wish I had a flexible camera/snake so I could see down the tube. Haha.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; You may end up calling a Plumber.

Some of my worst jobs have been when the customer has tried to "do it himself/herself" and has taken things apart to do so. Usually the first thing I have to do is put it all back together so I can find out what and where the problem is.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Your personal time has to be worth some money. I don't know how much time and money you have spent already, but I'm sure its more than you thought it would be and take. You have done your best, without success. Renting equipment may or may not resolve your issue and it will still cost you.

Why not consider a license plumber, who has the knowledge, skill and the right equipment to resolve your issue, in a timely fashion. Good Luck in your choice.

Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.