Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 one bathroom sink water is light brown to rusty color
Author: osubuckeyebest (IN)

After checking all our water in the house with a glass cup to be sure we found we have one bathroom sink water for hot and cold water is suddenly coming out light brown to at its worse a rusty color!! We checked our faucet aerator not much buildup but put new one on, and still discolored. However when I had aerator off the cold water was much worse in darkness of color. We have newer cooper pipes, newer under sink flex pipe for both hot and cold water, and new water heater 1 1/2 years ago. Faucet is about 3 years old, wasn't a very expensive one but nice, and as we are city water fed, we checked to be sure and there is no water main breaks for our area, so we are lost on what this could be, can anyone help us, we are confused and desperate?

Edited 5 times.

Re: one bathroom sink water is light brown to rusty color
Author: JennHeath (IN)

I had that something happen to me. plumber said there is rust up in the facet and to take it apart several times running water trough it. it worked for me.

Author: srloren (CA)

JennHeath it is most likely rust coming from upstream, perhaps a galvanized nipple in the system somewhere. Faucets do not use parts that rust, that I know of. You can confirm this if you can identify the maker of the faucet and go to their web site or call their 800 number for Tech Support. Good luck, I know that discolored water can be a concern for sure. The more we learn about our water with analysis, the better prepared we are to deal with problems caused by additives, material construction of piping, etc. Communicate with your city water company to see if they have suggestions or answers.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Start with the faucet, and work backwards with your hands and eyes for material other than copper in your supply system. Look thru the floors and behind walls and feel. Somewhere in the system is a non-copper connector. Maybe near your water heater. Did they use straight connections or flex supplies for the water heater. Might be time to drain the water heater and test the discharge with your clear clean glass for iron deposits.

Best Wishes

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Are the stub outs from the wall galvanized ?

Author: hj (AZ)

That would be my first guess.

Thank you! thumbs
Author: osubuckeyebest (IN)

Thank you so much everyone for all your help, I did start at the faucet and was gonna work my way out from there and found that yes it was the inside of the faucet was rusted and changing it out to have our problem fixed...AMEN!! So thank you times a million for each of you taking your time to help!!

Thank you, and god bless back to you all!!

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.