Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Need help removing 90-year-old bathroom faucet
Author: SacramentoGeorge (CA)

I've got an enameled cast iron bathroom sink which I'm almost certain is original to my 1923 house. I'm trying to remove the two single-hole faucets to replace them with a single-hole hot and cold mixing faucet in one hole and a soap dispenser in the other.

I was able to get the lock nuts to break free, but there's a large round device on both faucets that appears to be frozen. I don't know if it's some kind of spacer or another lock nut. I'm including links to photos.

Anybody know what these are and how to remove them? Thanks in advance!

[www.dropbox.com]
[www.dropbox.com]

Re: Need help removing 90-year-old bathroom faucet
Author: steve (CA)

I'm not familiar with those cylinders, but my gut says they're spacers. I don't see a need for them to be threaded and then have lock nuts below them. I think they're rust/hardened putty stuck to the shanks. Have you tried a pipe wrench on them?

Thanks for the input clap

Steve,

I've got a heavy duty basin wrench arriving tomorrow. I'm hoping I might be able to break the two cylinders loose just by working them with the wrench. I agree with you that there'd be no reason for them to be threaded-- but these things are really meaty, way more than what would be needed for a spacer. But maybe that's how they built stuff way back then.

Thanks for the input.

George

Edited 1 times.

Author: mlincoln (VA)

I'm sure you've already done this, but slathering them in Kroil once an hour for several hours and then waiting a day has worked wonders for me. I've also held the side of a Multimaster blade to the side of the faucet for a couple minutes after each application, hoping the vibration would work the Kroil down in there a little deeper. Good luck.

Author: packy (MA)

you are looking at 'faucet rosettes'.
just slice the hex nut with a saw blade and then split it open with a chisel.
the rosette will fall off when you pull up on the faucet.

Author: m & m (MD)

Tap on the end of the faucet shank with a hammer repeatedly and it will eventually work free from the hardened putty. If a hammer won't fit under the sink, use a long chisel, etc.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto

hope your new shiny modern faucet lasts 10 years

frowning

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Back then Crane, Am Standard, Kohler and Eljer faucets and singles used "cup washers" for spacers because of the long threads on the faucet base and the different thicknesses of the china.

I can't imagine that a solid space washer was used, but I've seen stranger.

A blade and flat screw driver will prove us right or wrong.

Best Wishes

Thanks, all, for the comments and suggestions smileys with beer

Thank, all, for the comments and suggestions.

George

Edited 1 times.

Author: melving.crane (CA)

Man, 90 year old that's long time. I've never seen that type of plumbing system before. Thanks for giving out those images.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.