Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Anyone understand how to read a water meter?
Author: Joe4592 (AL)

Yesterday at 1:00pm my meter was at 025342 with the hand at 9. Today at 8:30pm it's at 025354 with the big hand on 10. Does that sound like a big leak?

Re: Anyone understand how to read a water meter?
Author: steve (CA)

The meter should state where the numbers are, either "Gallons" or "Cubic Feet". Either the meter has read 120 gallons or 90 gallons, depending on it calibration. There should also be a small dial hand or triangle, that will rotate when water is flowing through the meter. Was any water used at the property between those hours or did the meter register flow without know usage?

Edited for the "I forgot the x10 multiplier for gallons".

Edited 1 times.

It says gallons on the meter. The last 2 numbers are black. Yes two people took showers and used the sink that's it

Author: steve (CA)

deleted

Edited 1 times.

That's good. I have three busted valves under me sink and my regulator is messed up I guess, I dug down to the regulator and tapped it and my water pressure went up inside for a few minutes. The water pressure is real low so I guess a little dirt came through the regulator and messed up the valves also

Thanks for the help!! thumbs

Also thanks for the help!!

Edited 1 times.

Author: melving.crane (CA)

The water usage of two person was huge. I'm sure that meter have showed the correct calculation of remaining water in the tank. However, if you're worried ask you nearest plumbing expert to take a look at the meter, and find out what's actually wrong.

Author: hj (AZ)

The big hand apparently reads 10 gallons, or 100 gallons, per revolution, (it should be marked on the dial). Either one would have moved the hand about one number higher for 12 gallons. In addition, most meters have one or two zeros printed on the face after the numbers which would mean multiplying the difference by 10 or 100.

Author: hj (AZ)

"plumbing experts" are NOT usually allowed to work on the city's water meter and if they do it could result in a huge fine, ($10,000.00 here).

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.