Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water Stained Ceiling Tile / Remodel
Author: CurtC (GA)

I am renovating a ground floor bedroom and it involves replacing a drop ceiling with a Sheetrock ceiling. Above the bedroom is the upstairs bathroom. Over the years I have noticed three different drop ceiling tiles with water stains. Upon removing the tiles, two of them are where 45 elbows are in the ½ inch copper pipe for water supply lines, the other tile is long runs of the same copper pipe. So my question is how do I check for a leak? Obviously I want to make sure this leak is resolved before the Sheetrock goes up. With a visual I cannot see any drips or even a partial leaking pipe. The leak could not have been severe as the tile would be molded and damp. A friend suggested it could be condensation on the pipe. I will add this is a 2nd home and I am not always there. I keep the thermostat at 50 during the winter to avoid frozen pipes. One thought is to do away with the copper elbows and replace with pex, but this is not my area of expertise and would like a professional opinion. Thanks in advance. Curt.

Re: Water Stained Ceiling Tile / Remodel
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I would tend to agree with the condensation causing the stains. Could you insulate the piping ?

Author: srloren (CA)

What fixture do the 45s feed and is there a shower valve in the wall above the 45s. It could be a valve inside the wall that has a bonnet/stem seal leak. Just a thought. First know what those 45s feed, then go from there to solve the leak. You say you are not there all the time, do the tiles dry out between your visits. If so this would point to a leak only when you use the fixture....you have to be a detective with these problems and a process of elimination. Good luck.

Yes that would be easy to do. Thanks for your input about insulating the pipes.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks for your input thumbs

Srolen,

Yes the two 45s do feed a shower directly above. The end opposite is a single 45 that feeds the toilet. These are the only tiles that were stained. I have never noticed the tiles actually wet only the stains. The tiles are all removed now. I will try using a ladder and prop a pan or bucket under the pipes and turn on the shower to check for leaks. I am just hoping this not an intermittent thing. You should have a leak or not I would think. I did see a video where a common problem is the bathtub spigot that was not caulked behind it easily causing water to drain through the opening. This is something I will check as well. Thanks for your input.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks for your input thumbs
Author: Mr.bill (NY)

Condensate sounds like the most likely cause. A leak from any where would show rather quickly even if intermittent. Condensate is slow usually only occurs on coldwater lines during hot weather or if downstairs heat is kept high, don't forget that heat rises! Do stains appear in summer. I would leave ceiling open to confirm.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.