Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 insufficient hot water from shower slow drip even after cartridge was replaced
Author: JRH_Orion (NJ)

Hello, I have been having issues with getting sufficient hot water from my shower for quite some time now. Prior to a month or so ago I never had any problems getting hot water. I also have a drip coming from the shower faucet and in the past I knew this was most likely a sign I had to replace the cartridge(Moen 1222 Posi-temp single Handle). After replacing the cartridge this time I found this did not fix the drip or the fact we are not getting sufficient hot water from the Shower. I thought it could be the Aquastat on the boiler that was replaced(last month) as my shower issue started around the same time the Aquastat was replaced but I am getting plenty of hot water from the kitchen and the sink in the bathroom that is next to the shower.

I shut the main line off and opened all the faucets to release any excess water in the pipes. I noticed even after doing this there was still a drip in the shower with the main line shut down. I took the shower faucet apart and inspected the Moen posi valve itself which a plumber replaced only around 5 years ago(and luckily was able to weld it in without breaking tile) I didn't see anything wrong or any cracks but I did see water slowly dripping out that left side and would build up until it would drop down the valve and exit out the shower faucet spout. So I am thinking there might be a crack that I cannot see? There is no water leaking that I can see from inside the wall so I don't understand why this would effect insufficient hot water coming into the shower.

Also I have read other forums so just to be clear there isn't any type of hot water limiter on the valve or inside the faucet that I can adjust and we have been in the house for 9 yrs and this is the first time we are having this problem.

I do have to say that since the new valve was put in (5 years ago) I have had to change the cartridge at least 3 times in that few years because of a drip but never had problems with getting sufficient hot water until now.

At this point I am at a loss so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited 1 times.

Re: insufficient hot water from shower also slow drip even after cartridge was replaced
Author: m & m (MD)

Remove the handle and rotate the first geared wheel to the 12 oclock position. If that is too hot, bring it around clockwise until you are satisfied with the hot temp.

Edited 2 times.

Thanks for the response smile
Author: JRH_Orion (NJ)

Thanks for the response, my posi temp faucet does not have the gear/hot water limiter you speak of. I have seen a lot of people have those and I am glad I don't or I probably wouldn't get any hot water.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.