Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Back-up in never used toilet
Author: CaitlinH429 (MA)

Hi there!
So I am renting an older home (1920's, renovated twice in the 50's and early 90's). Only one single bathroom is now connected to the septic tank (no other appliances or plumbing fixtures in the home). Literally all that is hooked up to this septic is a single toilet, sink & shower. Now, this bathroom is VERY, if ever, rarely used. Maybe the occasional water to clean the toilet and sink, but never any sewerage.

The toilet a few weeks ago was ghost flushing so I drained all of the water from it until I could fix it myself (I'm almost positive it needed a new flapper). Fast forward 2 weeks later - I changed the flapper in the tank, lifted up the seat and there is raw sewerage in the bowl.

Now my question:
Is it possible that the toilet backed-up due to lack of use/lack of water?
Or is it the septic?

Mind you, like stated, this bathroom is never used. I am the only person living here and any of my guests always use my other bathroom that is connected to the town line. A clog of any sort is not the issue.

Re: Back-up in never used toilet
Author: hj (AZ)

quote; A clog of any sort is not the issue.

Why NOT? Something is causing a backup and it either a "clog of some sort" or the septic tank is backing up. THis is assuming there is no cross connection between the municipal and septic systems, because they do not usually allow a septic system when there is municipal available.

Re: Back-up in never used toilet
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Liquids, follow the path of least resistance. In your case the un-used toilet was affected by the liquid level, from the septic tank. It could have been the rains or if the wasteline was not disconnected when the city system was installed and you have a clog forming, you could have created a path of least resistance.

Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.