Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 My pipes or water heater sounds like a machine gun!
Author: NotionCommotion (WA)

My pipes or water heater just started making some constant banging noise yesterday. See attached video to hear it at [tinypic.com]. The water heater is a 5 year natural gas Ruud unit.

My piping is cold water through a gate valve which tees to both an expansion tank and my water heater.

If I shut the valve, it instantly stops.

Can't see anything vibrating.

Read that it might be due to sediment causing boiling in the heater, but don't think so as it occurs even if the heater was off overnight.

EDIT. I've since removed the inlet connector. When I open the valve now, I don't hear the noise, so suspect it is the heater and not piping. Supposedly, there is some sort of tube which might be bad which is located from the cold water inlet all the way down the heater, (but then the guy said probably not). I didn't remove the nipple and can't check it out.

To make it worse, my water heater is located next to my furnace, and the sound travels through the vents to every room. Please help!!!!

Edited 2 times.

Re: My pipes or water heater sounds like a machine gun!
Author: steve (CA)

Do you have any in-ground hot water piping? Do you have to fully close the gate valve to get the noise to stop? Does the water heater have check ball nipples on the inlet and outlet?

Do you have any in-ground hot water piping? NO
Do you have to fully close the gate valve to get the noise to stop? YES
Does the water heater have check ball nipples on the inlet and outlet? NO

Thanks

Author: steve (CA)

Will the noise occur with the gate valve open, supply feed connected and burner and pilot off? Any popping from sediment should only occur with the burner on. A failed dip tube should only cause loss of hot water volume before turning warm/cold.

Yes, the noise will occur with the gate valve open, supply feed connected and burner and pilot off. But mysteriously, it stopped happening after reconnecting the supply. Still looking for a smoking gun reason for it. Thanks

Author: Big Al (WA)

Heat trap nipples!!!!!!!! Little marbles were installed on the 3/4" pipes on top of the unit to prevent hot water from leaving tank?? (Thermal expansion??) at any rate sounds like it stopped maybe a marble was lodged and set free in the tank but no wories no harm no foul

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.