Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 frozen b-vent
Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

I ran into a new one today i thought id share

i got a call for a leaky water heater, went to replace it....while replacing i noticed water on the 3" flue pipe..thought it was odd

after starting up the new heater i smelled burning ...odd....noticed some debris/dust came out when i redid a bit of venting, so i figured it was just the debris burning a bit....

came back down to do a final check and my helper asked 'whats burning'.....got me thinking....so i touched the flue...ice cold.....w/ tons of heat coming out around the funnel/collar......i knew right away...frozen b-vent....ive never heard or seen it before, but if i had walked away id be liable for hurting someone.....(there was a bedroom downstairs)

my guess----the water heater was leaking in such a way that it was throwing very humid exhaust....it gets below 0 here in WI every winter....and i doubt this house has this issue every year....the customer would have noticed burning in the basement

so i called my HVAC friend---simple fix....open the flue, run a blow dryer into it for a few hours....the homeowner called me a few hours later to tell me it was now open and he had his water heater lit...i wonder how much water ran back out?

ive seen 3" roof vents frozen over.....never a B-vent...this house is approx 11 years old

anyone ever seen this?

Edited 2 times.

Re: frozen b-vent
Author: packy (MA)

i'm suprised the hair dryer had enough heat to melt the ice.
how high was the b-vent and how much was frozen?

2 story house

have no idea how much is frozen....i just knew there was no draft and we just got done with 2 really cold days here

it was in the 30's today and everything outside was melting....a hair dryer on high running for hours pushing hot air up the flue....i think it was a perfect solution.....my hvac friend gave me the advice...he said its what they do

Author: m & m (MD)

That basement bedroom MUST have a CO monitor/alarm if doesn't already!

told the homeowner to go out and buy one....he said he did......not sure how long the old heater was blowing out exhaust into the basement...but id assume 3-4 days since it got cold on Sunday and i replaced on Wednesday

had another that used cardboard flue pipe mixed with some steel flue pipe that was so rotten the top was completely gone...the thing flue pipe run was approx 15' across the whole basement....100% exiting into the basement....probably had been for years....yet the people survived

saw a power vent a while back that used steel flue pipe.....customer didnt want to fix!!!......

seen people use downspouts as b-vent

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.