Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower Drain Into Toilet
Author: GH750 (FL)

Hi folks-

My apologies if this has been posted, but I couldn't find an exactly similar example. Can anybody tell me if the below plan would be acceptable? A vented shower drain entering the toilet drain between the toilet and the stack (toilet is very close to stack.)

Thanks in advance!
Geoff

Re: Shower Drain Into Toilet
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Looks good to me, you're wet venting the toilet with the shower. The shower vent should be 2". Since the vent is dry it needs to drop straight down into the shower drain pipe. A 2" combination or wye and st. 45 should be used for the vent take off.

Thanks North Carolina plumber! applause

Thanks North Carolina plumber!

The drain out of the shower is 1.5" (code where I am (in Canada, not actually FL)). But most of the run is exposed so I could easily up-gauge to 2" at least for the wet vent section (so 2" from the dry vent for the shower to the wye at the toilet drain).

Thanks again
Geoff

Edited 1 times.

Hi NC Plumber, quick follow-up.

The dry-vent needs to enter vertically to avoid waste back-up? Or another reason?

It would enter the shower drain vertically - but after 4" straight up it would have to turn 90 degrees and run on a slight slope (all vent grade upward) between the 10" joists over to the wall - where it would then go up through the roof.

The shower drain continues along a bulkhead - but because it is near flush with the bottom of the joists (running perpendicular to them), there's no way to get any elevation on the vent in the bulkhead to run it parallel to the drain pipe, forcing it to take a different route (parallel to the joists and perpendicular to the shower drain) to get some elevation.

Thanks again!
Geoff

Author: johnnybgood (NH)

Your dry vent is for air to be pulled in to waste pipe behind your poop and not suck out the water in your trap of the shower and causing sewer gases to rise into your shower area.

Author: hj (AZ)

If the stack is 1' from the toilet, you probably do not have room to insert a "Y".

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.