Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Pex Supply Line Size
Author: TCnCinti (OH)

Hi, folks.... I am renovating a 70 year old home and have decided to replace the old copper with Pex since I have the walls open. Having a plumber do all of the work is just not in the budget so I thought I would try to run some of the supply lines myself and then bring in the pros to replace the stack, take care of the connections and make sure everything is working properly.

Rather than use the Home-Run system where each fixture would have it's own dedicated supply line, I would prefer to run some main supply lines and then branch them off. This would allow me to use the 24 port Manabloc manifold rather than the 36 port version.

For example, in the basement, I would have one cold supply line that would branch off to the two outside spigots and the basement utility sink. One Cold and one Hot line would supply the basement half bath and bar sink. Similarly, I would run one cold line and one hot line to the guest bath and have them branch off (Cold would branch to toilet, sink and shower and Hot would branch to sink and shower). There are some fixtures to which I would have dedicated lines (Washing machine and Master bathroom shower for example)

So...a few question.

First of all, does this make sense?

Second, would 1/2" lines be sufficient for the main lines or should I go with 3/4" and then branch off to 1/2" (Can I use 1/2" from the manifold to the guest bath and then branch it, or should I use 3/4" to the guest bath and then branch to 1/2"?

Finally, if I ran 1/2" lines to the master bath shower and then bumped that up to 3/4" leading to the shower heads, will that give me more volume? This is how the old copper pipes were configured.

In case it helps, this house has 2 Full (second floor) and 2 half baths (first floor and basement). There are only two of us in the house so it's not like there will be a lot of competition for the water.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

TC

Re: Pex Supply Line Size
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

By code you can only feed 2 fixtures with 1/2. That usually means running 3/4" to the bath and using a 3/4 X 3/4 X 1/2 tee at the next to last fixture. Increasing the pipe size at the shower will have no affect on the volume or pressure at the shower.
I would run a 1" supply with 3/4" mains to each bath.

Re: Pex Supply Line Size
Author: steve_g (CA)

Is there anything wrong with the copper? Unless the pH of your water is too far off of 7 it may be just fine.

If you are going to re-pipe, you would do a calculation based on water pressure, number of fixtures (and what type) and developed length of piping.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.